Author Topic: Google Storage  (Read 3316 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Google Storage
« on: April 25, 2007, 10:39:30 AM »
Damn it, when is Google going to step it up and start offering everyone unlimited online hard drive space? I really think they need to come out with and official (not hacked Gmail) storage service. Isn't it about time? I mean what are all my clicks on spam recipes paying for anyways.

So come on Google, online hard drive, let's see that in Beta.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Google Storage
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:07:20 AM »
Ick... why give them all your files to index?  Just get your own hosting account.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 11:22:57 AM »
Yup.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 12:04:49 PM »
Ick... why give them all your files to index?  Just get your own hosting account.

u said it
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »

well, not that I'd run out and upload all my files to google but, I guess the arguments would be:

Cost (free google vs. paid hosting),
Performance,
Stability,
Security.

Yeah, I know that last one is going to cause a spark. But if you consider google "secure", than they can likely do more to protect your files than you can on a host where you don't even have root access.

Plus theres the whole social network aspect, where you can have public files to share.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 12:15:17 PM »
There is no such thing as a secure file. But even with that said, google would most likely be more secure than alot of regular hosts.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »
There is no such thing as a secure file. But even with that said, google would most likely be more secure than alot of regular hosts.
I don't necessarily agree with that.

And to argue the points:
Cost (free google vs. paid hosting): you can get free hosting... but who can't pony up a few bucks a month?
Performance: How is google any better than a decent host?  I've had less issues with my shared hosting account than I have had with google's non-search related products.
Stability: ?  Same as above. 
Security: No company is devoid of security issues... and you can be damn sure that if Google started hosting people's shit... someone would hack it.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 01:58:01 PM »
I think that google has more resources to allow them to really dive into things such as the security, as opposed to other companies that dont have that level of ability.