Author Topic: Texas Republican Party Education Policy  (Read 9901 times)

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Texas Republican Party Education Policy
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »

I just read it.  I'm througoughly disgusted and now going to take a shower....For a number of reasons, but the most important of which is made clear here....Seriously?  Don't teach critical thinking because it undermines parents?  Parental permission and curriculum review whenever you ask students opinions or believes?  WTF?

http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/06/28/2059203/texas-gop-educational-platform-opposes-teaching-critical-thinking-skills?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashdot%29
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: Texas Republican Party Education Policy
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »
Also learn to read (critical) and hopefully learn basic arithmetic (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division)...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
Nope.  Hardcore advocate of cardiac PE at all grade levels.  Been demonstrated to improve learning and school discipline.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »
PE is a joke.  If I were running the school system the first thing I would cut is PE.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »
Yea, for "properly" done PE it's more beneficial for fat kids.

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revolutionary-Science-Exercise-Brain/dp/0316113506

A friend of mine actually did this in a school she worked in.  Had great success.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:31:49 AM »
Cancel something that is shown to be beneficial to most kids because it adds to the problems of a couple? That doesn't make sense. Better to make it better for the kids it doesn't work well for.

Also, PE isn't just the cool kids picking teams for dodgeball and leaving the nerds for last anymore. And if it is in some places, then they need to change.

Also, I just used four different two-letter words starting with 'i' in a row. Check another item off my bucket list!

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 07:57:02 AM »
WHOA

People still read slashdot?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
Haha. Fills me in on whatever I missed two days ago.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »
If your numbers on benefit/detriment were accurate, I'd agree with you. I don't think they are, though.

I have not taken PE recently, but my daughter has.

Spelling bees, recess, math quizzes and show and tell also can put kids in bad social situations. Ban those? I don't buy that PE is the worst of all, and even if it was it wouldn't be that much worse than other school activities that lead kids to be bullied.

Finally, I don't know about your experience, but in my experience, the kids who were picked on were picked on before, during, and after PE. Getting rid of that wouldn't change much. Except it would take away something that is beneficial to most kids.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 06:23:59 PM »
If your numbers on benefit/detriment were accurate, I'd agree with you. I don't think they are, though.

They're accurate.

Also, your daughter isn't in high school.

Spelling bees, recess, math quizzes and show and tell also can put kids in bad social situations. Ban those? I don't buy that PE is the worst of all, and even if it was it wouldn't be that much worse than other school activities that lead kids to be bullied.

None of those are situations are comparable to P.E. At. All.

And yes, PE is by far the worst of all activities at school.

Finally, I don't know about your experience, but in my experience, the kids who were picked on were picked on before, during, and after PE. Getting rid of that wouldn't change much. Except it would take away something that is beneficial to most kids.

Well, I do know about my experience. I shouldn't have graduated high
school technically because of that worthless class. I failed gym my senior
year simply because I didn't go (This was after being kicked out of that
high school for not going to gym while a sophomore. They sent me to a
school for "troubled kids." I was there was a bunch of gang-members and
dopeheads... all because I couldn't do gym). My guidance counselor felt
sorry for me or something, but he changed my "F" in gym class to a "P" and
I got my diploma.

You can't simply observe someone being bullied and ridiculed and mocked
and ostracized and think you have any idea what it's like. It's a daily
occurrence to those kids during the time of the life when they're being
wired to be who they will as an adult; and these experiences are wiring
them to lack confidence, have low self-esteem, etc. And it 100%
absolutely, non-debatably happens more so in gym-class than anywhere
else.

I'd love to hear what these magical benefits are to the other kids,
though. Because the people from high school I run into nowadays who
were always more fit than me, haven't seem to retain them; while
I'm still trying to build my confidence and self-esteem.

I don't care if it's present; and I'm not saying it should be banned
entirely. Those "most kids" can take it if they want. But it absolutely
shouldn't be a requirement to graduate. It should be an elective class at
most. There are far better options to promoting healthy lifestyles.

+million

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »
Ethic (and apparently Knuck) - I'm sorry you had a shitty time with PE.  That sucks.  It sounds like you had a bad class/horrible shitty shitty shitty teachers.  Cardiac exercise has repeatitively been shown to boost kids esteem, learning, lower drop out rates, lower suspension rates etc.  Same for adults too for that matter.  There are some newer ways to do PE now that are begining to make end roads that I think charlie is talking about.  Kids doing individual workouts, tracked privately with heart rate monitors, the focus isn't on being competitive with each other but rather with yourself...and consequently, the bullying within those sorts of classes isn't anything like the shitty treatment it sounds like you got.  Creates a very different culture....

Like all schooling....sometimes its all about if you had a shitty teacher.  I'm sorry it sounds like you did.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 08:49:58 PM »
yup

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »
Ethic, I'm sorry you had to go through that, I don't agree with how it was handled, except the pass at the end. And I was bullied, too, so it's not like I'm basing my opinions only on what I see other people going through.

I think cases where individuals are getting bullied should be handled in a much better fashion than I'm guessing they're handled now. But I don't see any reason to believe that PE is special as a breeding ground for bullying. All we have here is your experience, which conflicts with mine. You can say it's non-debatable, but, we're kinda debating it right now. I just don't agree.

You could just make PE an elective, but many kids who could benefit from it would skip it entirely. I think that's a bad solution.

Another idea for kids that really struggle in PE could be an elective class that satisfies the requirement and involves individual exercise, especially if the exercise is what provides the benefit found by studies (rather than competition or working with teammates or whatever). Add that to better and quicker action by teachers and administrators when bullying does happen, and I think you have something that helps a lot more than it hurts.

I'm not ignoring the difficulty some kids have in PE, I just think there's more to it than that.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »
The fact is that any class that any class that has unstructured time is a possible zone for bullying.  It just so happens that PE tends to have more unstructured time than other classes....that needs to change.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 01:24:49 AM »
The fact is that any class that any class that has unstructured time is a possible zone for bullying.  It just so happens that PE tends to have more unstructured time than other classes....that needs to change.

That needed to change 50 years ago.  It hasn't and isn't going to.