Author Topic: Texas Republican Party Education Policy  (Read 9898 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Texas Republican Party Education Policy
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »
The fact is that any class that any class that has unstructured time is a possible zone for bullying.  It just so happens that PE tends to have more unstructured time than other classes....that needs to change.

That needed to change 50 years ago.  It hasn't and isn't going to.

As ethic would say, you've taken PE recently? ;)

Honestly I'm sure there are a lot of places that's true, but I do see indications that it is changing. It's a slow process and many communities are resistant to changes like that. Many, but not all.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 11:23:07 AM »
...exactly....it's slow...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »
All learning requires students being in vulnerable positions.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 04:46:29 PM »
It doesn't matter what the structure is like; the fact of the matter is,
it puts certain kids in bad social positions.

that's called life ethic. I really dislike when people want to shelter kids from the toughness of life. LIFE IS FUCKING HARD. Better get used to it when you're a kid. It's kind of the same as having everyone get trophies, even if you came in the last place. I call bullshit.

I, for one, loved PE - especially team sports. Loved it.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »
And Jake is fat so if he likes PE everyone should

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »
And Jake is fat so if he likes PE everyone should

stop bullying me!!!
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »
All learning requires students being in vulnerable positions.

This and

It doesn't matter what the structure is like; the fact of the matter is,
it puts certain kids in bad social positions.

that's called life ethic. I really dislike when people want to shelter kids from the toughness of life. LIFE IS FUCKING HARD. Better get used to it when you're a kid. It's kind of the same as having everyone get trophies, even if you came in the last place. I call bullshit.

I, for one, loved PE - especially team sports. Loved it.

This. I could not agree more, the everyone wins a trophy pisses me off. Lets make kids soft, sheltered, and entitled so when they grow up they can be completely ready :rolleyes:
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:10 PM »
I disagree with the life is fucking hard sentiment, although I do think there is a balance to be had between over-protectiveness and lord of the flies.

But I think kermi is right in that all learning requires students being in vulnerable positions, and I still don't see how P.E. is substantially worse.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
I disagree with the life is fucking hard sentiment

fine. is this better: LIFE HAS A HUGE CHANCE OF BEING FUCKING HARD. So prepare for it.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »

fine. is this better: LIFE HAS A HUGE CHANCE OF BEING FUCKING HARD. So prepare for it.

Actually, that's not the part I disagreed with. Life is fucking hard, but I don't agree that "prepare for it" is an acceptable solution when it is super hard for kids. There's a difference between having a little bit of a rough time and the type of bullying ethic is talking about.

And I don't believe that throwing kids into the fire actually makes them stronger in the long run. I expect it depends a lot on the kid and isn't something that's generally true or even usually true.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 09:08:07 PM »
I think ethic is kicking ass.  Here here.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »
Hey, guess what axon, not every kid has the same experiences.
Not everybody lives the same life. And what you think is
"hard," would be cake for a kid who spent his entire childhood
being bullied.

Of course there are different experiences, and there are extreme cases - but because having those type of cases should not mean that the whole system needs to change. I came to this country when I was 10 years old. I didn't know a lick of the language and had glasses and a fucking mullet - sure it was "pretty rough" for the first couple of years, but my parents prepared me for how to handle it.

If you're completely fine with your child being subjected to
daily harassment and humiliation all because "that's life," then
you're a terrible parent.
My responsibility as a parent is to a) prepare my kids for such situations and show them how to handle them. b) provide the environment that nurtures positive self esteem and confidence through activities like sports, music lessons, etc c) teach them how to be compassionate human beings that know the difference between "right" and "wrong". 
There are kids who are singled out far more than anybody else.
The life they experience is absolutely nothing like what you
obviously experienced. You're weren't "stronger" than them; and
they don't have a "thin skin." They're subjected to mental torture.
You see what that lady went through on the bus? That happens
daily to some kids and on a much worse level.

Do you think it's fucking normal for a fifth grader to commit suicide?
Because that happens regularly; and it's not because "life is hard."

No, it is not normal ethic - but these are extremes. Growing up I have not seen or heard of anything quite that bad. And situations like that need to be handled on an individual basis, not by blanket federal legislature or similar reactionary decision making.

Gym class makes superficial differences much
more apparent, differences which are held to higher regard than
any other. This is where the heavier, weaker, shorter, kids are
further separated from everybody else. This is where everything
they're insecure about themselves is put on display for the entire
class to see.

so you think that giving fat kids an option of not going to gym class would help them?? to the contrary, I think that would separate them even more - "oh look, the fat kid is scared to run a few laps" etc etc. Give me a fucking break.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
Jake alluded to it, but doesn't the "obese kids get bullied more" correlation support the idea that PE could be beneficial? Not in all cases of course, but in many. Which goes back to the idea of helping many kids a little even if it might be detrimental to a few.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 09:51:52 PM »

Actually, that's not the part I disagreed with. Life is fucking hard, but I don't agree that "prepare for it" is an acceptable solution when it is super hard for kids. There's a difference between having a little bit of a rough time and the type of bullying ethic is talking about.

And I don't believe that throwing kids into the fire actually makes them stronger in the long run. I expect it depends a lot on the kid and isn't something that's generally true or even usually true.

I agree charlie, but a parent should be able (and I hope we will be able to do this) to recognize when life gets "super hard" - and help the kid deal with that extreme situation. Same goes for teachers.

I don't believe in "trial by fire" either, but there are things as parents we can do that build our kids' self esteem. I think that self confidence is HUGE in everything you do in life...and I am very grateful to my parents by actively working (to this day!) on helping me with mine.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
Like I said I think it's a balance. I think it's important to consider these issues when designing curriculum, even if in an ideal case the parents and/or teachers could handle it properly. But like you said you can't cover all cases, and some of the most extreme ones will inevitably fall through the cracks.