Author Topic: Frankinstorm  (Read 9866 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Frankinstorm
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:13:04 AM »
Discuss
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: Frankinstorm
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:04:03 AM »
?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »
Pain in the ass. I already done this once this year.  And Steve...try google dude...or CNN....

I'm stocking up on water and batteries. She's big and with those other fronts and my Isaac experience, I'm worries about prolonged power outages. That's the biggest concern for me. I think there's gonna be a lot of coastal flooding from the surge cause she's just so damn big, and it sounds like inland stream and river flooding are going to be an issue....also not at all a fan of how the models keep shifting north and show her slowing down. The spaghetti models are zeroing in on S. Jersery...so they and Philly are fucked, but I just wish it'd keep moving and not sit down...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:44:02 AM »
Oh - a reminder...they can't start power line repairs until winds are under 35...which sucks...

How's everyone else's prep coming? Micah? Jkim?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »
I feel grossly underprepared compared to the many other people freaking out.

That said, we already do have a good amount of water and nonperishables in the house and plenty of batteries and flashlights around. We typically don't lose power for all that long. Hoping even in an extended storm things will hold out.

The part I'm upset about is that I have an interview and students Monday and Tuesday.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:06:59 AM »
After the two storms last year that left us without power for a week each, everyone around here is pretty panic-y.  Grocery stores were packed yesterday and you couldn't get near a gas station.  We bought some non-perishables at Aldi but still need to restock on formula.  I couldn't get gas yesterday but I went out at 7:30 this morning. One station was sold out but there was no line at the place across the street so I topped off the Subaru.

We're a couple counties inland so we're not worried about the raging seas and the rain isn't supposed to be as bad here on the north-east side of the storm, but we are expecting high winds for a prolonged period.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
Oh, ya this makes no difference to me. And shame on you all who are not always prepared.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »
We're supposed to be affected here in Ohio too.  I'm not too worried though.  Nothing in the forecast is worse than an average storm around here.  Maybe a little extra wind but we don't normally have power issues around here either.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
By the time anything got to us (if it even did) it would just be another storm. This is the midwest, heavy rain and winds is just par for the course.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 11:45:33 AM »
Just finished buying my supplies. Subway is closing this afternoon. Means work is off for tomorrow...dint mind being home, but lord I don't want to lose power....

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »
This is where iphone = fail because you can't just swap batteries in and out.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 12:27:57 PM »
I have an external battery recharger....Should charge my phone 3-4 times.....I wouldn't have more batteries than that....and my old phone that I'll use for entertainment so I don't drain the new one's battery...

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 02:27:41 PM »
bought formula at BJ's this afternoon so we're as ready as  can be.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 02:49:18 PM »
bought formula at BJ's this afternoon so we're as ready as  can be.

You should keep two weeks worth of non-perishable food (and formula, of course) and water in the home always for each person. And if you make your own "comfort packets" it is pretty cheap. I use a vaccum sealer and make one for each of us for each day that has various things in it like candy, drink mix, trail mix, etc in it.

My initial stores were developed over the course of a few weeks on a $5/wk budget. Once you have those it is easy to grow into a very prepared person. We spent $20 a month on stupid things so to spent $20-$40 a month on emergency preparedness is just smart. Also ebay is your friend, you can get quality supplies there CHEAP. I got a ton of mylar material and my vac sealer on ebay for under $30.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 06:59:55 PM »
Good luck folks.