Author Topic: Obama's Nobel Prize  (Read 8342 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Obama's Nobel Prize
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
WTF? 

I know I'm biased because I'm not an Obama supporter so can someone else here PLEASE agree that this makes no sense?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
Re: Obama's Nobel Prize
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:32:47 AM »
Nope.  The changing of tone is a HUGE deal to the rest of the world - including the Norwegians, even if parts of America don't respect it...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:50:36 AM »
really?  I mean, he was only in office for 12 days at the time of the nomination deadline last February.  And even now, after 9 months, he's done nothing.  He's made speeches and promises but done nothing to bring about peace.  I'm not saying he wont do things to promote peace and reduce armies and arsenals and all those things that make up the prize --- but he hasn't YET. 
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:59:32 AM »
I was surprised too. Changed tone or not, I would have figured there were other people that have made bigger impacts.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:02:48 AM »
Not saying I'm not suprised - I am, but that tone change is a huge first step...you know, actually talking to the rest of the world, getting Iran to talk...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 10:10:58 AM »
I get your point, but it just doesn't seem like a reason to win such an esteemed prize.

thought this was interesting...

Quote from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oct/09/barack-obama-nobel-prize-why
The citation describes his "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples" in his outreach to the Muslim world and efforts to end nuclear proliferation.

Which is all very well, except that Obama is fighting wars in two Islamic states – Iraq and Afghanistan – and his efforts at international diplomacy, notwithstanding his powerful desire to achieve quick results, has thus far shown almost no progress in pushing forward peace talks in the Middle East and only very partial progress on Iran. It is true that he has made real advances in "resetting" US-Russian relations, not least over his decision to cancel an anti-missile shield that was to be based in eastern Europe, but the consequences of that engagement are too early to judge.

The reality is that the prize appears to have been awarded to Barack Obama for what he is not. For not being George W Bush.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »
Yeah.  Iran to talk.  That isn't a constant on and off switch is it?  Digital talks.  Like North Korea.  They flip so fast it isn't funny.  Sad part is the leadership is so screwed up that reasoning with them is a complete waste of time.

The only way to deal with the NK and Iran type countries is to get their respective populations off of their asses to remove their insane leadership(s) and replace with sane to or at least semi-sane leadership(s).

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 10:16:16 AM »
On the Obama prize.

IMO he hasn't done anything for foreign relations yet.  What we have seen thus far is nothing more than the foreign states pulling back to see what Obama is all about.  Typical as each new US political regime enters the game.  More prolonged when the foreign states decide that a candidate may well be in power for all eight years.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
Micah - I see what your quote is saying there, but that's inherited....and lets be honest, in many ways the award is more about a bitch slap of Bush's policies and recognition of Obama's reversal of tone so far than anything Obama has had time to accomplish...

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
Seems to me this is similar to Jethro Tull winning a Grammy for Heavy Metal.

April Fool's Day must be early this year. Maybe we can blame it on Global Warming?
This signature intentionally left blank.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »
Micah - I see what your quote is saying there, but that's inherited....and lets be honest, in many ways the award is more about a bitch slap of Bush's policies and recognition of Obama's reversal of tone so far than anything Obama has had time to accomplish...

thats exactly my point though.  What does that say about the creditability of the award - if its being given to someone simply because they're NOT someone else.

Its like that Chris Rock bit:
- "I ain't never been to prison."
- "What do you want, a cookie?! You're not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectation-having motherf**ker!"

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 11:24:26 AM »
* RobR sides with Micah.

wtf?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »
So basically, the Nobel Peace Prize is now reduced to a steaming pile of shit.

What a shame.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »
Or a podium you can use to bitchslap politicians. I suppose that's also a shame.

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 01:14:26 PM »
I just checked facebook after lunch and LOL'd....