Author Topic: My Roman Army  (Read 8686 times)

jverkoey

• Jackass III
    • http://TheJeffFiles.com/
My Roman Army
« on: May 05, 2005, 01:29:44 AM »
Rome: Total War, amazing game, I've fallen in love with it:

Hmm...there's only about...2000 troops on the field :kickass:
-Jeff Verkoeyen

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
My Roman Army
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 01:34:36 AM »
I don't have the patience for games like that anymore - but it looks cool jeff.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
My Roman Army
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 07:03:33 AM »
I just go into this game again, playing as the Julii.  I hate the damn Senate missions; I played as the Selucids last time and didn't have to deal with them.  I do like having the power of the SPQR and the other Roman factions behind me - I'll invade Gaul, take a couple cities, and they'll always grant me a ceasefire because they're so afraid of the other countries :)

edit: Are you using any mods?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
My Roman Army
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 08:07:11 AM »
There is a guy here at work that is really into it.  I should probably get it but he says you really have to sit down and have a decent amount of time planned out to play it.  I need a game that I can stop instantly if I need to.  (it's the whole being married thing... sometimes she wants us to do stuff together :rolleyes: )  

;)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
My Roman Army
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 08:44:46 AM »
You don't really have to.  The battles can take awhile if they're really big, but by the time you get into really huge ones I'm sure you'll be addicted enough that Sam will have left you already ;)

Seriously, though - I usually only play for an hour or so at a time.  You can save at any point when you're not in a battle.  It'd be hella cool to get some ES Rome multiplayer going.

jverkoey

• Jackass III
My Roman Army
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 10:25:35 AM »
Yah definitely, multiplayer would be sweet.  I think I'm going to go and actually buy the game now that I've tried it out so I can do online play maybe if any of you are interested.

And no, I'm not using any mods, just the normal game.  I just invaded the Gallic capital with 2 forces of a 1000 soldiers each :D  Gotta love when you have 1000 guys lined up storming towards the enemy when suddenly your reinforcements come in from behind them and they just panic and run in circles :D
-Jeff Verkoeyen

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
My Roman Army
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 11:13:48 AM »
Looks neat, graphics look so-so though.

question: How much control do you have over the camera? can you zoom in/out and swing 360 degrees?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
My Roman Army
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 01:04:40 PM »
I've seen the game in person and the graphics are actually really good.  And AFAIK, the camera is very customizable, but I'm sure GC or jverkoey can answer that better.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
My Roman Army
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 01:25:59 PM »
reminds me of a game i used to play, Hereo's 3
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
My Roman Army
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 03:05:27 PM »
wow - GC told me about this game like half year ago, and it still full price at BestBuy :(
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
My Roman Army
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 05:06:24 PM »
>  And AFAIK, the camera is very customizable, but I'm sure GC or jverkoey can answer that better.

Zoom in/out pretty much as far as you want, rotate, lock onto to specific units, whatever you want.  The only thing that really takes some getting used to is the unique way they implement fog of war.  You can see all the units on the battlefield, but until your units get closer to them, you won't be able to move the camera near them.  That is, the camera's mobility depends on where your troops are.

As for the graphics, I think they're pretty damn good for something that routinely has thousands of guys on the screen at the same time.  The angle JV has it at in that isn't necessarily the best for issuing orders to your army; the scope of battles is so big that you usually don't zoom in that far.

At the very least, it's a lot better than the last game in this series (Medieval)

> GC told me about this game like half year ago, and it still full price at BestBuy

I actually just noticed that today when I was there.  The game's been out since freakin October, you'd think they'd drop the price a little by now.

sand_man

• Super Jackass
  • Jackass II
My Roman Army
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 08:43:03 PM »
It looks like Age of Mythology. That is what stopped me from trying it out.

jverkoey

• Jackass III
My Roman Army
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 12:04:26 AM »
Hey govt, that fog of war thing, it doesn't exist :D

There's two ways to fix it:

1) (the annoying way) just double click on the map where you want to move to
2) hit escape and go in to game or camera options or whatever, and uncheck the box saying "Limit Camera Movement"

Tadah :D

And yah, the pic I took was just for effect (should be obvious).  Usually you want to stay zoomed out completely to be able to maneuvre all your troops.  I've found the most effective strategy is when a battle's starting out, get all your cavalry to flank the enemy from behind and within about 5 minutes almost every time they'll start running (depends on the size of your army compared to theirs though).
-Jeff Verkoeyen

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
My Roman Army
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2005, 07:51:27 AM »
> 1) (the annoying way) just double click on the map where you want to move to

They took that away on the 1.2 patch, as far as I can tell

> 2) hit escape and go in to game or camera options or whatever, and uncheck the box saying "Limit Camera Movement"

Where's the fun in that? :p

> get all your cavalry to flank the enemy from behind and within about 5 minutes almost every time they'll start running (depends on the size of your army compared to theirs though).

How far are you?  That usually doesn't work when you're fighting big armies.

jverkoey

• Jackass III
My Roman Army
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2005, 11:05:57 AM »
Just started a couple days ago.
-Jeff Verkoeyen