Author Topic: We got a puppy!  (Read 5294 times)

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
Re: We got a puppy!
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
I gotta say... 18 years without a pet, but with 4 kids... has been kind of nice.  Once you have a pet, you always have to worry about the pet.  Like if you want to travel and whatnot.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »
Yeah... that's my thing.  Having a pet is like getting a toddler that doesn't grow up.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 01:14:29 PM »
I gotta say... 18 years without a pet, but with 4 kids... has been kind of nice.  Once you have a pet, you always have to worry about the pet.  Like if you want to travel and whatnot.

for us, these are minor inconveniences, and having a dog is great for our family. We're actually considering adopting a second one. I don't see myself living without a dog.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 04:01:22 PM »
Out of curiosity - what does the dog provide for you?  What makes it 'great for your family'?  I've struggled with that question. 

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 04:27:47 PM »
Out of curiosity - what does the dog provide for you?  What makes it 'great for your family'?  I've struggled with that question. 

hmmm, well, first and foremost, he makes us happy! even though we're used to it all, many every day things he does are just so damn adorable and make you smile. He also makes our kids (and my wife) feel more comfortable when they are home alone - he is a great guard dog. With a dog, you're never really alone.

He has helped us teach responsibility to our kids - doing things for and around the dog is their responsibility and has been for a few years now.

I really enjoy playing with Cap. He is getting a little older and a little slower and doesn't always want to play for a very long time - but I guess I am the same way :p
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 05:12:08 PM »
Ok.  I guess I don't see it that way.  To each their own.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 05:14:58 PM »
I mean, just look for yourself :D

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 05:17:21 PM »
I guess I'm just different.  That doesn't make me feel anything.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2021, 05:28:10 PM »
I guess I'm just different.  That doesn't make me feel anything.

and that's OK too! better know it now, than after deciding on this 10-17 year long commitment.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2021, 08:50:53 AM »
This is one reason I'm more of a cat person than a dog person.  While you still have to deal with them I know that if need/want to I can put down dry food and water and be reasonably ok with leaving the cat for 3 days.  Can't even leave a dog for a day.  That said, the last two trips we've taken we have had a friend come by daily.  So, yeah you aren't wrong.

Now, I grew up with pets so it is hard to imagine life without them.  For me, my cat provides a lot of love, entertainment, and stress relief.  Ever been really down in the dumps and had a fluff ball to pet and cry to?  It is surprisingly comforting.  As fucked up as this may sound, I cried more when my first cat died (after 18 or 19 years) than when my mom died.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2021, 10:41:20 AM »
Completely agree that having a dog is a major inconvenience. It makes everything harder, especially travelling even if it's just an overnight trip. We actually just sold our SUV and bought a mini-van so we could fit the family, the dog, and all of our gear for camping / cottages.

That said, I'm with Jake on how happy it makes our family. Everyone loves our dog, she's just a big fluffy sweetheart. Seeing my kids gush over her (and they still do a year and half later) is really heart warming. She also helps calm them when they have melt downs or are just overwhelmed. I couldn't imagine life without her now.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2021, 11:37:23 AM »
That is beautiful man...
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2021, 11:40:16 AM »
That dog reminds me a lot of pictures of my mom's dog from my early life.  It she a labradoodle?

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »
Golden doodle.