Author Topic: AH HA HA HA HA.  (Read 13325 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: AH HA HA HA HA.
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »
This lady sounds like she is a newb that is part of the masses.

because she is...hence my point that she most likely misrepresented herslef because shes an ignorant <edit>
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2009, 06:15:18 PM »
She lives in a place where every car she has ever seen is an automatic and she has never heard of a manual transmission. She assumes that all cars are automatics. She orders a car and they send her one with a stick. She notices it has something different so she considers taking it back but the sales guy convinces her that it gets better gas mileage and will require less maintenance and that she should keep it. So she does.

That's the analogy. She knows how to drive and probably has driven a lot in the past. But she's wasn't even aware of what the stick shift was and the sales guy convinced her that it was worth it to keep.

There's a difference between somebody who knows that they don't know something and somebody who has no idea that they don't know something. That second person has no chance to solve their problem because they don't know it exists.

Bingo. 10/10.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »
>>ubuntu is a more suited os for what shes doing,

>>it would be my opinion that he was correct in his advice to go with ubuntu.

Why?

edit>> I need more than "Micro$oft suxorz and bill gates is teh devil incarnate!!1111oneoneone"

Linux is an operating system for entusiasts and tech's, microsoft is for newbs and the masses.

Hang on. Ubuntu is "an operating system for entusiasts and tech's", so it was right to recommend it for a newb to use on her laptop? You sure?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »
I think the problem is she didn't portray herself as a newb.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2009, 06:53:52 PM »
TY ober. I was starting to think it was me...
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2009, 06:59:46 PM »

Well, I've read it a shitload of times now, and I don't see anywhere where she describes herself as an " entusiast" (sic) or "tech". Of course, if you'd like to quote that bit from that article, or any of the linked ones I'd be happy to retract my opinion :dunno:.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2009, 07:06:37 PM »
No dell rep is trained to suggest linux over windows unless it is desired by the user and the user has qualified the reasoning. I guarantee that, because MS is paying dell way more $$

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2009, 02:43:54 AM »
No dell rep is trained to suggest linux over windows unless it is desired by the user and the user has qualified the reasoning. I guarantee that, because MS is paying dell way more $$

You guarantee it? Really? Didn't Rob just give a link that shows that it is automatic to provide Ubuntu in some cases? I actually think it's more likely the reps are instructed to promote Ubuntu. Providing that option has got to be expensive so I doubt they'd do it unless they wanted to actually sell some units with it. If they were happy with Microsoft's money then they wouldn't want to offer Ubuntu at all.

Well, I've read it a shitload of times now, and I don't see anywhere where she describes herself as an " entusiast" (sic) or "tech". Of course, if you'd like to quote that bit from that article, or any of the linked ones I'd be happy to retract my opinion :dunno:.

I was thinking the same thing.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2009, 03:04:35 AM »

*gives up* :suicide:

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2009, 06:19:30 AM »
Well this has all rather made me somewhat keen to try out Ubuntu.  The last time I used 'nix was back in the Caldera days and it was to be blunt, fucking shit.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »
The only good thing to ever come from caldera was dr dos. I loved that till the maxblast software came out. I keep two backup copies of maxblast I fn love it.

And charlie I didn't see the link, but something tells me she portrayed herself in a way that fell her into a catagory to sell ubuntu. The point is ubuntu was originally her idea and I'm sure she got all tough woman I can do whatever I'm going to tech school on his ass.

Fucking broads

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2009, 09:41:29 AM »
The only good thing to ever come from caldera was dr dos. I loved that till the maxblast software came out. I keep two backup copies of maxblast I fn love it.

And charlie I didn't see the link, but something tells me she portrayed herself in a way that fell her into a catagory to sell ubuntu. The point is ubuntu was originally her idea and I'm sure she got all tough woman I can do whatever I'm going to tech school on his ass.

Fucking broads

:D Whatever you say, RoD.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 09:49:46 AM »
At least it isn't just us. This same debate/conversation is going down on almost every forum with a computer section. I can't imagine how bad it must be on some nix boards

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »

Fucking broads

Here. Hold this stick - no, the other end.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2009, 10:32:07 AM »
Wait, I think I see where we have a disconnect here.

RoD's version of events.

Woman goes to Dell and deliberately orders a laptop with Ubuntu on it, then gets pissed off because she can't get it to work.

ЯR's version of events.

Woman unsuspectingly orders a laptop off Dell not realising it has Ubuntu not Windows. When it arrives she can't install her internet software or Word, so she calls Dell to ask them to change it for a Windows equipped machine. The Dell rep persuades her that Ubuntu is cool and that she should keep it. She does but still can't get it to work by which time Dell say "tough break lady, too late".

Reading every article I can on this, I still can't see where my version is wrong :dunno:.