Author Topic: Mitchell Report  (Read 5315 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Mitchell Report
« on: December 13, 2007, 07:21:14 PM »
So, any of your favorite players on the list?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153646

Several that used to be some of my favorites are, but I pretty much already knew that they would be.

I'm glad to see some actual evidence against Clemens. That always seemed so obvious.

I downloaded the full report but I'm not sure if/when I'll read it.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Mitchell Report
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:28:57 PM »
Basically what I expected - a bunch of big name players everyone thought was juicing, people who have already admitted to/been caught juicing, and the "he must have done them wrong" category, like Nook Logan.

Did you hear Selig's press conference?  What a freaking joke he is.  He hadn't even read the report, and had a 20 minute (that I heard) presser where every question was answered with "well baseball is a great sport and we can't live in the past and no comment"

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:35:03 PM »
No, I heard part of Mitchell just by luckily being in a car with a radio when a local station replayed it. Otherwise I've only read a story on espn.

I'm not surprised that Selig didn't handle his smoothly, though. Has he ever done anything in public that makes sense?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 07:46:10 PM »
You'd think a former used car salesman would be a little better at deflecting things he didn't want to say than "oh shit, i dunno"

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:48:28 PM »
Are people really surprised though?  Oh no baseball players are using drugs!  Steroids just seem to be the latest drug.  From what I read (years ago) speed used to be a popular drug among baseball players.

I'm not saying that the sport shouldn't do more to keep the players clean but at the same time it isn't a great surprise.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
No, it's definitely not a surprise in any way.

In fact, the list given by Mitchell is almost certainly not complete. He only had a few witnesses and their records to base things on. Basically one guy who is trying to avoid more jail time named most of the names on the list. I'm sure there are other people distributing that haven't been caught that could name a bunch more users.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
Pretty much all of the names anyone cares about had either already been caught using or were strongly suspected of using.  The other people are in there as throwins.  Seriously, Nook Logan?

Like charlie said, that's not even close to complete - he doesn't even have some people on there caught with positive tests.  This whole thing was a waste of time and a chance for people to get soundbites in (like Bush saying he wasn't aware of any steroid use in Texas when he owned the team.... a team that included Jose freaking Canseco)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 11:39:38 AM »
BTW what was congress' rational to gave them authority to investigate in the first place?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
Baseball has an antitrust exemption so they've got some governmental accountability.  This wasn't funded with tax dollars or anything, though.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 11:53:57 AM »
Ah ok, thanks.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 12:14:49 PM »
I don't think it was a complete waste of time. Sure it took too long, and there's really not much that wasn't already expected, and Mitchell seemed to do very little investigation himself (he really just piggybacked the Feds investigations of BALCO, Radomski and McNamee). But putting an "official" stamp on the evidence and testimony makes it harder for people to keep denying that this has been a problem.

A lot of casual fans still thought only a few people did it, or that only home run hitters did it, and that Barry Bonds is scum. This report kind of makes it more obvious to the casual fan that a lot of baseball players did it, not all of whom are people you would consider scum.

I'm glad the report came out and also named names despite the flimsy evidence and the obviousness of its conclusions.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »
I guess I'm glad there is an "official stamp", as you said, but I'm just disappointed in the results.  It's partially because of the lack of cooperation from the MLBPA (well duh) but I was hoping for some other names.

I suppose the good thing about this is what you said about the home run hitters.  I've already gotten a couple emails from casual fans I know that were like "holy crap can you believe Roger Clemens was juicing?" when 1) it's been obvious for a while and 2) most of the people caught before this were, in fact, pitchers.

I'm curious to see if Selig's going to grow some balls (not fucking lightly) and do something to punish some owners since it's blatantly obvious that they knew what was going on and did shit about it besides cash their fat checks.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 01:32:45 PM »
On ESPN News they're talking about whether Clemens should be in the HoF now that this has come out.  This is what really bothers me - he was fairly obviously juicing and the BBWAA members all know that, but no one said a peep until now.  All of a sudden people are outraged?  Please.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Seriously. I'm still holding out hope that these media members aren't shocked or surprised at all, they're just acting shocked and surprised because there wasn't any public evidence out before to officially make those assumptions.

Because if they are really shocked and surprised... man are they dumb.

As far as the Hall of Fame goes... Bonds and Clemens should get in together. Maybe with McGwire and possibly one or two other juicers. They should all get in in the same class with nobody else (maybe add in Charlie Hustle). That would be a very poignant celebration.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 08:44:19 PM »
> (maybe add in Charlie Hustle).

I don't know man, that's reaching a bit.  I don't think he's eligible anymore anyways.