Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 65066 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #375 on: March 12, 2021, 07:54:41 AM »
How are vaccinations going in Europe?  I have no concept outside of the US.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #376 on: March 12, 2021, 09:33:22 AM »
In the UK just over 23 million (from a population of 66.6 million) have had at least the first of 2 vaccinations.

We're starting with the older and at-risk population.

On a personal note, mine is due on Saturday.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #377 on: March 12, 2021, 03:02:24 PM »
I hear UK is doing great, US is doing good, and Europe is not doing well at all.

I'm expecting that some time in May I and anybody here who wants one will be able to get one. My wife is actually scheduled today for her first Pfizer shot. (She gets an early one since she's a teacher.)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #378 on: May 04, 2021, 06:04:37 PM »
So who's vaccinated and how are our lives returning to normal?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #379 on: May 04, 2021, 06:13:15 PM »
My wife is vaccinated and I got my first shot a week or so ago. We haven't changed much about our habits yet, but we have visited my mom and sisters in person and indoors for the first time in a year after they were fully vaccinated. So that was great. I'm not really an emotional guy but those were some pretty long hugs.

I have one daughter back in school (the other opted out). It's not really that much better than distance learning but at least it gets her out of the house. I'm hopeful for full-time back to school starting in the fall.

Going to Disneyland in July. Kids are super excited about that.

Looking forward to being able to watch a movie. We'll probably wait for them to be fully vaccinated which should be within a couple months, but maybe my wife and I will go on a date before then.

So still kinda waiting for it to be over but changes are happening. Very lucky to live in a place with low cases counts too.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #380 on: May 04, 2021, 11:51:42 PM »
I hit 2 weeks post second dose last Friday so I'm fully 'covered' at this point.  I take my wife for her second shot tomorrow.  I'm hearing we could get the kids vaccinated as early as next week or the week after.  We are having my in-laws over for mother's day this weekend.  I think that's the biggest change for us.  Both kids are still remote.  My job has decided to be primarily remote indefinitely but I suspect that later this summer I'll start going in a day a week or something like that.  My wife and I didn't do much of anything for our 17th anniversary a few weeks ago but we do have a date planned for a distanced outdoor concert in July. 

My in-laws are fully vaccinated as is my wife's brother and his wife.  My dad is fully vaccinated and my mom should have just gotten her second dose.  My sister is a nurse and got vaccinated in December.  My brother and his wife have apparently gone off the rails and are anti-vax.  Kinda surprising to me.  And apparently my mom's side of the family is pretty split on the topic and people feel pretty strongly on both sides of it.  That's also odd to me because we have so many people in the medical field in the family. I had hoped some of them wouldn't be so stubborn.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #381 on: May 05, 2021, 12:57:32 PM »
got my first dose on 4/25 and go back for #2 on 5/23.
Still working from home - apparently, indifferently - kids have been back in school 4-days a week for about a month now. Masks are still mandatory everywhere (so like, kids playing baseball/softball wear them on the field...its weird but at least they have a season this year)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #382 on: May 05, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
Canada is really behind on vaccinations, they can't import them fast enough. In my area they are still doing first round for people 55+ and 18+ if you are in a hot-spot neighbourhood. Most of the country is also scheduling 4 months between the first and second shot which is against the manufacturers recommendation...

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #383 on: May 05, 2021, 02:18:29 PM »
Everything is pretty much wide open here - indoor dining etc. Many local places are not requiring masks - like our kids BJJ place. Things are getting close to feeling normal - at least around here.

We went to an art exhibit a couple weekends ago downtown Chicago. Masks mandatory, even for pictures (!), unless you buy a drink. Haha. :D what a crock.

Since we moved, our kids are remote - and that is weighing on them since almost everyone else is back in person - good thing they only have like 3 weeks left.

My wife is also remote but is volunteering to be one of the first to go back to the office. She can't wait.

We didn't get vaccinated and are not planning too unless we have to in order to travel to Poland...
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #384 on: May 05, 2021, 10:27:28 PM »
So who's vaccinated and how are our lives returning to normal?

I got vaccinated back in March and the wife got her vaccination completed in April.  It allowed us to travel to Michigan to celebrate my nephew's college graduation and commissioning into the Navy.  All of us who shared the house were vaccinated and it was really nice to not have to worry.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #385 on: May 06, 2021, 12:29:12 AM »
So weird to see all the different situations.  No one here in northeast Ohio had any issues getting one once the age groups opened up.  And every single person had the second dose exactly 3 weeks later that I know of.  They were just scheduled that way.  I'm shocked that other places are taking the chance against the recommendation.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #386 on: May 06, 2021, 12:54:19 AM »
it was really nice to not have to worry.

Isn’t that great?! I was able to take my grandma out to eat for her 96th birthday. First time she’d really been out of her apartment in over a year. (We ate outside since my kids and I weren’t vaccinated but luckily we live in a place with nice weather so it was all good.)

I really think the US should be putting a lot of money and effort into vaccinating the world. It’s the right thing to do of course but even if you want to think selfishly or America first it’s beneficial for us to have the global economy running better and people not dying.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #387 on: May 06, 2021, 09:46:33 AM »
Yeah, without the vaccine I probably wouldn't have made the trip.  During the planning stages (before everyone got vaccinated) we were planning on staying distant and wearing masks which would have really sucked.  But since we were all vaccinated and the CDC updated their guidance (and the people there were the safer group of the family) we felt comfortable hugging and forgoing the masks.

This trip was also the first time I dined-in in over a year and it was a surreal experience.  And not just because we were sitting looking out over the river to Canada ;)

I agree that the US should help other countries as it helps the global economy (and is morally the right thing to do) but I'm also fine with us being a bit selfish and focusing on us first.  We are spent and are spending a ton of money on it.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #388 on: May 06, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »
Shot one down, second next week. Very much looking forward to things getting back to "normal".
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #389 on: May 06, 2021, 01:42:56 PM »
> I'm shocked that other places are taking the chance against the recommendation.

The idea is that it's better for more people to get their first shot fast, rather than half as many people getting both shots 3 weeks apart. But it's a theory with no evidence so... :dunno: