Author Topic: MW3 or BF3?  (Read 41405 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
MW3 or BF3?
« on: September 06, 2011, 10:09:18 AM »
http://www.forgetfoo.com/?blogid=13236

Looks badass.  And I haven't heard much about MW3 other than this, but I've been less than impressed with the BF3 stuff I've heard.  Thoughts?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: MW3 or BF3?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
I have to actually play it before I could compare.

What do you think of Origin getting rights to what is going on in your PC?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:00:35 AM »
Not a fan of that.  But if it's the difference between playing a game I really want to play, I could give a shit less.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:23:45 AM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:36 AM »
Interesting.  I guess my gut says to get BF3 first, but I'll eventually own both.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
Modern Warfare 3 seems to be stuck showing the same types of things we've seen in past big-budget war games, and it leads to fatigue. The Battlefield 3 trailers look like they're hyping a game that pushes the genre forward. Modern Warfare 3 could use some of that magic

Probably because it is exactly the same game, but dressed up a bit. Maybe that's also true for BF though.

I could hardly care less about the things that article mentions. What I really want is a decent ranking system, like matchmaking was in Halo 2 and 3. The MW games annoyed me because all the rewards are based on how many hours you log in the game and winning the match doesn't really matter.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »
I didn't really play the MW2 online game, but the BF games are based on points rather than time for ranking.  So the better you score, the better you rank, and with BFBC2 winning = points (although it's nothing compared to the tactical points) so there is incentive to win.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »
>  So the better you score, the better you rank, and with BFBC2 winning = points

This is exactly the same thing as in blops

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:13:52 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like me some vehicles.  I get most of my kill streaks in vehicles... but more and more I like the hand to hand combat.

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
"no incentive" may have been a bit of an overstatement. The point is more that people who have tons of losses compared to wins can still look like good players because they play 10 hours a day and have "prestiged" 10 times. It's also less conducive to teamwork if you get points based on how many kills/assists/etc you have rather than simply on winning the match.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »
Well, you have to be careful about that too.  I've been on a LOT of shitty teams and even though I'm the best player on the map, the 10 other pricks on my team are off dicking around so my team ends up losing.  I guess my point is, strictly saying wins in a match = rank isn't enough to motivate some people because people are trying out new weapons, going for a specific badge, etc.  Hell, I'm currently in the process of getting bronze medals on all weapons, which means I'm playing with weapons that aren't as effective (I fucking hate shotguns). 

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 04:02:04 PM »
I'm not sure how I feel about the ranking up in MW...

the thing is, i tend to suck.  but I like playing.  So when most people on my team are geting 10 to 30 kills per game, I'm getting 3 to 5.  Over time by playing for long periods, unlocking low-skill challenges, and being placed on winning teams, I've ranked up pretty far.  The problem with that is that I always get matched to play against people with similar rank as myself but they are way better than me.  So i just get killed every time I re-spawn.  I think the match-making should be based on your average kill:death ratio or something similar and not based on rank. 

just my 2 cents.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
Where are you getting matched up?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
Where are you getting matched up?

oh, i play xbox live. so maybe thats my problem?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

JaWiB

• Jackass V
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 08:06:38 PM »
I didn't think there was any matchmaking involved in MW, or have I just been totally oblivious? If there is matchmaking, it didn't seem to work too well. I never had that problem in Halo 2 or 3 where rank was based purely on wins and losses, and I played 4v4 most of the time with random teammates. I guess matchmaking might be more of an issue with bigger teams.

If ranks aren't based purely on wins/losses, then kill/death spread is probably the best measure, except in objective game types and then I have no idea.