Author Topic: MW3 or BF3?  (Read 41697 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: MW3 or BF3?
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
You obviously have never played an MMO.  First update after install is regularly 4+GB.  And the more modern games just do a digital installer so you are looking at 12-16 GB depending on the game.

Admittedly I'm pretty out of the loop. I'm trying to remember my last update (America's Army) ever done, and I forget how much it was. But you might be right, I think it was around the same. In another note AA3 apparently went STEAM......fucking a.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2011, 07:17:56 PM »
Yeah Steve.  3 vs. 4 GB is totally arbitrary.  Hell, BF2 patches were 2GB plus and that was several years ago.

You launch it from Origin, but that opens your browser, which opens to a webpage that manages launching the game in whatever mode you select (multiplayer, co-op, singleplayer).  The whole idea is kinda stupid because you still have to change your settings in the game and whatnot. 

Anyways, I got it installed, worked pretty decent through the first few levels of SP.  My initial review:

1) Buggy.  I'm only through the first ... 4? missions and already ran into two pretty large bugs.  For the one, I had to replay from a savepoint probably 6 times to get it to work properly.  For the other one, I ran into it just before I quit on Tuesday so replaying that mission might fix that one.  Either way, that's shitty.
2) The graphics are fucking awesome.  Best I've seen in a game so far.  And that's saying a lot considering my machine is 3 years old and barely above the min CPU requirements.  I left the video on auto and it put most stuff on High and I see no lag or any other video issues at that level.
3) The jet mission was fucking sweet and I was only the gunner, not the pilot.  The rest of the gameplay is pretty good.
4) More buggy... I had issues getting the game to go truly fullscreen.  It was in windowed mode for a while and then flipping over to the browser for a second and then back seemed to fix it, but not every time.
5) I feel like there is a lack of understanding what to do in some instances.  Like the very first mission, you are on a subway and you have to jump out and then back into the next car.  What they don't make clear at ALL is that you have to repeatedly press the space bar, otherwise you just fall the fuck off and die.  I had to google that one to figure out how to get past it.  There was another part of a mission where you're supposed to jump in a hummer and man the 50 cal and I had no idea I was supposed to do that, so I'm sitting there shooting motherfuckers left and right FOREVER until I figured that out.

As far as Origin itself, it is also buggy.  When applying the patch, it did it, but apparently got 'stuck' in update mode and I thought it was still installing the patch for a good 8 hours... I woke up the next morning (~14 hours after it started) and it said it was still updating.  So I killed it and restarted it and it magically said it was done after about 10 seconds.  Fuckin bullshit.

SO in a nutshell, despite the bugs and annoyances, I will continue to play it because it looks sweet and I enjoy the gameplay.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
Yea I don't know why i'm bitching.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2011, 12:31:53 AM »
Finished the SP.  Not bad, not great.  Pissed me off that the 'fight', of which I just hit a couple buttons to end the SP was between me and a guy that I couldn't see.  Another fucking bug.  It's insane that shit like that could happen... that the major players in the game are fucking invisible.  And I even have the latest video drivers.  So wtf?

I also played about an hour in MP.  Decent.  Ranked up once in about 20 min.  Some of the maps are fucking HUGE.  Now I have to go through the pain of learning them all.  Time to do some online research.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2011, 01:11:17 AM »
I honestly don't think the quality control is what it used to be. In many games these days (Black Ops for example) there are clear bugs that affect almost all users at the same time and somehow they did not get caught before release.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 12:43:50 PM »
Well I've played for about 2 hours now.. rank 3.  So far I'm digging the MP.  I like the maps and the layouts that I've played and I think the weapons are pretty cool.  The sounds for the weapons/vehicles are the best out of all war games I've played.  I need to change some bindings for some keys but otherwise the controls are good. 

Call me crazy, but I kinda like the browser based launch setup.  It's a familiar interface so you don't have to learn a new set of screens and filters.  The other cool thing about it is that it handles launching, logging in, and setting up the game in the background while you do other things.  You can browse the web, check your stats, etc.  With other games, you're stuck staring at a loading screen.  So while it may seem clumsy at first, I think in general it's a good thing.  I never thought I'd say that.

I can't wait to rank up and get more of my unlocks.

OH, and I want to check out the co-op thing too.  Not sure how that even works.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
OH, and another huge thing with BF3 that the previous games didn't have... the stats and social aspect.  Stats are immediately updated and right there in the interface with everything else.  I know BC2 had it in the game but it was shitty.  These stats are actually useful and pretty detailed.  I might still check other sites to see if anyone does a better job with the stats but it's nice to stop for the night and see very nice stats immediately.  I can also log into that site from wherever to see everything. 

The social side is pretty cool too.  Clans or 'Platoons' can be searched for and managed in the game, which is pretty cool.  I'll see how that works out.  I found a few Cleveland platoons and I've applied to them.

It claims I can play the game from wherever too but I haven't tried to do that yet.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2011, 12:48:05 PM »
Yes, I'm going to use this thread as my ongoing update for the game until someone tells me to STFU or I don't have anything else useful to say.

By the way, if anyone wants to co-op or join/start a platoon, let me know.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
thanks for the reviews.

I'm thinking I want this game now too... does anyone have it for console gaming?  If I get it, it'd be for 360.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2011, 01:16:44 AM »
Yeah, I have it for 360.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »
So I'm about 4 hours in online.  A few things they've done right for once:

1) You can't go from prone to standing or kneeling or vice versa in an instant.  This is good and bad but overall good in terms of evening out gameplay.
2) You have to approve getting revived (THANK GOD).  So the medics can't just bring you back in the middle of a firefight without you approving it.  That was soooo annoying in other versions of the game.
3) The assault class is also the medic class.  I think that's brilliant.  The other classes are support (ammo and suppression), engineer (rockets and fixing shit), and recon (spotting, sniper, setting up mobile spawn points).
4) I was looking through the unlocks and when you get up to level 30+ you run into unlocks that affect your entire squad (like sprinting, better suppression, or lowered damage).  VERY COOL.

Things I don't like so far:

1) Maybe it's just because I don't have a really good rocket launcher or don't have an explosive specialty like in BC2, but most of the time I can put 4 rockets into a tank and it only 'disables' it.  That seems to be the case for most vehicles.  You disable them before destroying them.  I still haven't figured out what that means... like they can't shoot but they can still repair? 
2) I'm a level 6 right now and I still don't have any scoped weapons.  Granted, I've been using most of the classes pretty evenly so I guess that's to be expected, it's just annoying to wait for all these unlocks.
3) They still don't have the VOIP down like they did in BF2.  Either that or NO ONE is using it.  I thought that was one of the most powerful features of BF2.

I think overall I'm going to really enjoy this game.  It's just going to be painful until I learn the maps and get some better weapons.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2011, 02:56:13 PM »

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »
I wonder if the clan management is borrowed from the way America's Army did it.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »
You really need to get past that game.  That was like 7 years ago and that game sucked.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »
All the shooting is clearly taken from Oregon Trail