Author Topic: Decisions in game that make you think about the morality of it  (Read 5559 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Decisions in game that make you think about the morality of it
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:54:36 AM »
This has happened quite a few times but the latest one was during XCOM: Enemy Within.  You can mechanize some of your troops.  What I didn't realize until I sent one in is that the amputate the limbs and replace them with, basically, a robo-suit.  I don't know why but it really weird me out and just started thinking about the morality of it.  I had a perfectly good soldier that lost quite a bit of their humanity to become half machine.  If they the limbs had been destroyed it probably would have been fine.  And the gene splicing didn't weird me out.

I've noticed as I've gotten older that I see and think about the ethical and moral implications that games present.  Not that I change my action in-game because it is still just a game.  And Gandhi must die before he nukes us all (Civilization joke)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Decisions in game that make you think about the morality of it
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09:32 AM »
Gandhi joke acknowledged. 

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
Yeah, I've become desensitized to a lot of the stuff they put in games now.  But if you really step back and think about what is going on in the game it can be rather disturbing to think about something like that happening in real life.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:25:28 AM »
A lot of games also end up with a weird dichotomy where the main character is trying to be a good person or redeem themselves, but they end up killing literally hundreds of people along the way.  This seems especially true in sandbox games, where you can be a psycho while you're messing around, but the main story is about trying to do good.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
also, I don't like having to kill dogs in Call of Duty.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »
Oh there are tons of things I have avoided doing in games.  Love Mass Effect, but I simply cannot play the asshole.  Same goes for ME2.  Lots and lots of things like that.

Eh..heh....that said I have purposely done some heinous shit in games.  Truly level 10 tool.   :dunno: