Author Topic: Hard drive failure?  (Read 11212 times)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Hard drive failure?
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 09:55:20 PM »

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »
Technically, this is my old card vs new card:

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=881&gid2=389&compare=geforce-gtx-770-vs-geforce-gtx-460

And yeah, even with 'decent' integrated video, it's not even a fair comparison.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »
So... now I'm really fuckin pissed.  I talked to 2 different MS techs last night.  Both said I have to buy another license of W8.  So I just took $90 and threw it down the fucking drain.  This is complete and utter bullshit.  Why wouldn't they have exceptions for this sort of thing?  Surely this happens to some people?  I had it installed for less than 2 months and now I have to go and buy another copy?  WTF?  So the only way to ever start over with an OEM license is to image it and never change the hardware?  Who came up with this bullshit?  Oh, right.  The fucking money-grubbers.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
Oh, another note.  That motherboard you suggested was microATX.  I have never seen a mobo so freaking small!  it only had 1 chassis fan connector so I had to power the second one another way.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 10:18:56 AM »
So I just chatted online with another person from MS that also said I should be able to activate it.  The other thing I didn't mention is that I did the 'activation by phone' last night and it said it was successful but it still showed as not activated.  So I'm not sure if it worked or not.

Either way, I'm going to check again tonight and if it didn't activate I'm going to call them.  I got a number from the person I chatted with.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 10:51:40 AM »
Oh, another note.  That motherboard you suggested was microATX.  I have never seen a mobo so freaking small!  it only had 1 chassis fan connector so I had to power the second one another way.

Micro-ATX is fine.  My current mobo is the same.  Lat one too.  Unless you are going with multiple simultaneous video cards or have unusual hardware like a cutter they don't have much of a downside.  I never use the mobo to control fans, with the exception of the CPU fan.  Direct to the power supply for all fans.  It decreases the power you need to run through the mobo which is a good thing.

It is mini-ATX you have to watch.  Those can be odd ducks.  Typically HT rigs use them.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, 05:59:18 PM »
So I just chatted online with another person from MS that also said I should be able to activate it.  The other thing I didn't mention is that I did the 'activation by phone' last night and it said it was successful but it still showed as not activated.  So I'm not sure if it worked or not.

Either way, I'm going to check again tonight and if it didn't activate I'm going to call them.  I got a number from the person I chatted with.

Damn bro.  Sorry you are having such a run-around.  :(
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »
:D :D :D :D

Came home today and finished installing 8.1.  I think getting it to register as being activated just required a reboot.  SO, for anyone going through this with an OEM copy, start the windows activation and choose the 'phone activation' method.  It is fully automated.  It will ask you for 9 sets of numbers that you say or key into the phone.  Then it will read you back a set of 7 numbers (I think).  After that, it will ask you how many times you have installed the OS (I said "one") and then it will ask how many other computers it was installed on (I think that was the question) and I said "zero".  It said to proceed and when I did it said all was good.

I did the phone activation Thursday night and going to the computer's properties did not immediately show that it was activated which is why I got worried.  BUT, all is good now.  I don't have to purchase another license!!  :-)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
8 vs 8.1?

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2013, 04:04:26 PM »

Came home today and finished installing 8.1.  I think getting it to register as being activated just required a reboot.  SO, for anyone going through this with an OEM copy, start the windows activation and choose the 'phone activation' method.  It is fully automated.  It will ask you for 9 sets of numbers that you say or key into the phone.  Then it will read you back a set of 7 numbers (I think).  After that, it will ask you how many times you have installed the OS (I said "one") and then it will ask how many other computers it was installed on (I think that was the question) and I said "zero".  It said to proceed and when I did it said all was good.

I did the phone activation Thursday night and going to the computer's properties did not immediately show that it was activated which is why I got worried.  BUT, all is good now.  I don't have to purchase another license!!  :-)

Yeay!  :)
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
I don't think 8.1 mattered. I think the restart changed the status.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2013, 05:23:49 PM »
Sorta looking for your take on the difference...

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »
OH... dude, I can't read your mind.  8.1 is a big 'meh' to me.  I see very little difference.  The addition of the start button is of no use to me and I haven't really noticed anything major otherwise.  It literally had no impact on me.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2013, 04:07:01 PM »

Guess I'm kind of late to the party, but I've activated all like...5 of my Windows installs this way.