Author Topic: AH HA HA HA HA.  (Read 13318 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Re: AH HA HA HA HA.
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 03:20:31 PM »
We arent saying you are wrong rob, we are saying despite your point she is still an idiot for following a salesperson blindly into a purchase.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »
I guess :dunno:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »
My bigger problem is that when Dell ships a computer... EVERYTHING IS SETUP AND WORKING.  So it makes it even harder to believe that there was an actual problem that caused her to be unable to connect to the internet and have basic use of the system.

Word problems aside, general usage should have been a non-issue.

webwhy

• Jackass IV
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 03:45:24 PM »
Not to mention she's attending a "technical school".  One would expect an aptitude for technology, or at least a desire to find a solution to a technical problem...instead she blames the computer (or even Dell) and drops out of school...

sorry, i agree "that's how it is", but that doesn't mean I have to understand, pity or except it

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 03:49:48 PM »
My bigger problem is that when Dell ships a computer... EVERYTHING IS SETUP AND WORKING.  So it makes it even harder to believe that there was an actual problem that caused her to be unable to connect to the internet and have basic use of the system.

Word problems aside, general usage should have been a non-issue.

I QUOTED SOMEONE!! man i havent got to do that in forever.....

anyway, i get your point and i agree. But dell has a tendency to ship windows based pc's with out of the box issues so i imagine it wouldnt be hard at all for a unbuntu shipped pc to have an issue.

i still think shes an idiot. And dell is the number one supplier of computers to morons, you would think before you could finalize your order there would be flashing warning lights saying hey, this aint windows dipshit.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 04:31:37 PM »
>>you would think before you could finalize your order there would be flashing warning lights saying hey, this aint windows dipshit.

See, now that's sensible. But she was even told by a Dell rep that she should stick with Ubuntu - that's gotta be bad advice.

>>EVERYTHING IS SETUP AND WORKING.

Except she couldn't access her Verizon account, and lacked the knowledge to set it up without the verizon CD that wouldn't run on Ubuntu. I know how to do it, and I know all you guys would, but why would a non-geek user? She could look it up on the internet, except...

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »
I think the problem is the fact that people think of computers in a similar way they do cars - that they can use fine them but have no idea whats going on inside and that they need to hire others to maintain them. They have been pampered by people like Dell setting everything up for them so they will ALWAYS rely on somebody else for advice or help with computers because they never have to do it themselves, so suddenly when something is wrong its that person's fault.

So I think its her fault for being complacent and simply trusting the 'computer guy' but who can blame her in a world where this has become the social norm. In short, society is at fault for perpetuating the idea that computers are enigmatic in how they work and that only geeks can fix them.
i have a stationary fetish

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2009, 04:42:25 PM »

So I think its her fault for being complacent and simply trusting the 'computer guy' but who can blame her in a world where this has become the social norm. In short, society is at fault for perpetuating the idea that computers are enigmatic in how they work and that only geeks can fix them.

I don't.  I do just the opposite.  Just sayin'.

A Bit of Fruit

• Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
So do I but its been this way since I can remember - my stepmum is too scared to try and figure out how to install adobe acrobat so she calls me over to do it for her.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
>>you would think before you could finalize your order there would be flashing warning lights saying hey, this aint windows dipshit.

See, now that's sensible. But she was even told by a Dell rep that she should stick with Ubuntu - that's gotta be bad advice.

>>EVERYTHING IS SETUP AND WORKING.

Except she couldn't access her Verizon account, and lacked the knowledge to set it up without the verizon CD that wouldn't run on Ubuntu. I know how to do it, and I know all you guys would, but why would a non-geek user? She could look it up on the internet, except...

i wouldnt have known. im still newish to linux and i would have needed some help from you guys or google on the blackberry to install it without the cd. google saves my ass constantly with ubuntu.

As for the rep, thats a 50/50. she probably talked herslef up being all excited about chool, and im sure she brought up ubuntu. knowing ubuntu is a more suited os for what shes doing, and the attitude im almost positive she probably put forth, it would be my opinion that he was correct in his advice to go with ubuntu.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
>>ubuntu is a more suited os for what shes doing,

>>it would be my opinion that he was correct in his advice to go with ubuntu.

Why?

edit>> I need more than "Micro$oft suxorz and bill gates is teh devil incarnate!!1111oneoneone"

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »

I don't.  I do just the opposite.  Just sayin'.

... and some people can play pro football, and some can fly a space shuttle to the moon. We can't all be good at everything is my point. Sure, we can do our best to get our knowledge up, but I don't need to know how to fix the engine on my car in order to be able to drive it. Some people see PCs in the same way.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 05:23:43 PM »
>>ubuntu is a more suited os for what shes doing,

>>it would be my opinion that he was correct in his advice to go with ubuntu.

Why?

edit>> I need more than "Micro$oft suxorz and bill gates is teh devil incarnate!!1111oneoneone"

Linux is an operating system for entusiasts and tech's, microsoft is for newbs and the masses.

A Bit of Fruit

• Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »
Linux is an operating system for entusiasts and tech's, microsoft is for newbs and the masses.

This lady sounds like she is a newb that is part of the masses.

... and some people can play pro football, and some can fly a space shuttle to the moon. We can't all be good at everything is my point. Sure, we can do our best to get our knowledge up, but I don't need to know how to fix the engine on my car in order to be able to drive it. Some people see PCs in the same way.
Its the reliquishment of respobsibility im worried about. People just expect their computers to be fool proof and unbreakable which companies like Dell have tried to accomplish but I think its very difficult. Computers are complicated! You don't buy a car and expect to be able to drive it without learning how to drive.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2009, 06:00:09 PM »
She lives in a place where every car she has ever seen is an automatic and she has never heard of a manual transmission. She assumes that all cars are automatics. She orders a car and they send her one with a stick. She notices it has something different so she considers taking it back but the sales guy convinces her that it gets better gas mileage and will require less maintenance and that she should keep it. So she does.

That's the analogy. She knows how to drive and probably has driven a lot in the past. But she's wasn't even aware of what the stick shift was and the sales guy convinced her that it was worth it to keep.

There's a difference between somebody who knows that they don't know something and somebody who has no idea that they don't know something. That second person has no chance to solve their problem because they don't know it exists.