Author Topic: Acronis  (Read 6011 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Acronis
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 03:28:43 PM »
I've had a few 32 bit programs choke on me... like Diskeeper for one.  Still not sure what is wrong with that.  It manages the disk... why does it need to be 64-bit?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
I imagine it has something to do with the architecture of the 64bit os and the way it handles data
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 07:00:35 PM »
my techs use acronis to image systems at work all the time. We mostly use it in server environments and it works great. They also use something called deepfreeze, I think - I forget the name. But we have a system our sales people and trainer use all the time and deep freeze saves the default state the server is in and reverts to it every night unless told otherwise.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 07:07:29 PM »
Deepfreeze huh? Sounds cool!
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 10:24:29 PM »
I've had a few 32 bit programs choke on me... like Diskeeper for one.  Still not sure what is wrong with that.  It manages the disk... why does it need to be 64-bit?

Diskeeper is useless in Vista.  The reviewers have noted that though slower, the native defrag is equal to or better than anything on the market.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »
Guys tbh I never use defrag or cleanup. Well I run cleanup once a month to kill the hibernation file. But I'm a believer that the disk defrag tools don't do anything but slow the system and cause file corruption.

And for the average user cleanup just causes data loss.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 02:53:15 PM »
Guys tbh I never use defrag or cleanup. Well I run cleanup once a month to kill the hibernation file. But I'm a believer that the disk defrag tools don't do anything but slow the system and cause file corruption.
So VERY not true with XP.  Diskkeeper gave me a 5-10% boost in XP easily.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »
I never really used them so i cant hold to my opinion too heavy. Over the years though, in regards to defrag, it seems to cause more issues then good. And in my experience i often find computers with speed issues not related to spyware or infections tend to belong to owners who defragment.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 03:44:28 PM »
I never really used them so i cant hold to my opinion too heavy. Over the years though, in regards to defrag, it seems to cause more issues then good. And in my experience i often find computers with speed issues not related to spyware or infections tend to belong to owners who defragment.

In my experience I cannot disagree more.  Fragged drives cause massive slowups and issues here.  Only recently has the support staff at my work realized just how much BS defragging on a regular basis matters. 

Everyone should defrag on at least a quarterly basis.  I do it about once a month with normal hdd use.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
I literally never defrag my computers. It has never cause anything good for me. Maybe aftermarket software is better then the windows management tools but i never bothered to try it. But im so anal about my computers i think that helps. Most people just click everything and put shit everywhere and its a disaster. I cant even have icons on my desktop beyond the basics for more then like, an hour lol