Author Topic: Catastrophic Quickbooks Disaster  (Read 2570 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
Catastrophic Quickbooks Disaster
« on: May 07, 2008, 10:32:50 PM »
My former boss here uses Quickbooks 2006 Contractor at his office. He has several computers used by the diff employees, and one computer that runs only to serve as the Quickbooks server.

Recently a new problem has arose. Someone will be working with customer data, be it invoices, saving, downloading, anything and the program will crash with a single error: "ABORT".

This happens on any of the pc's, no matter if everyone else is on them too, or just one person. It's random, theres no timeout, its completely unpredictable at this point. All of the pc's are connected via Cat5, and all the wires and hardware have passed testing. No other network reliant applications are suffering.

So i did some research and learned two things:

Quickbooks tech support is completely useless and the people on the forums for quickbooks are just as useless. There have been other cases like this, but they are all over the place.

There are no recent changes, at all. Not to QB, the network, the pc's, nothing. I'm running out of ideas shy of a complete and total uninstall and reinstall of QB's and i really really really do not want to get into that. Theres a ton of customer information and this business lives off quickbooks and if i hit the wrong button lord all mighty help me when his wife finds me.

So, ideas?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Catastrophic Quickbooks Disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »
If it happens on all of the machines, start looking for common links.  Server, power issue, software, or some sort of hub device.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »
Thats why i tested all the cables and such. I figured when the QB crashed if it was hub/router related we would loose everything and they dont. I'm thinking it has to be the server end of QB, but im so unfamilliar with it im not even sure how to find out right now.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Sounds to me like the server version or the database is corrupt.  Did you try all the "repair" type utilities within Quickbooks?  I assume the make regular backups.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:49:28 AM »
Maybe some really bad data. Possibly along ober's line of thought.

Is it reproducible? That's usually the hardest thing to get to but helps a ton.

Maybe time for an upgrade? (assuming it might help)
This signature intentionally left blank.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:11:49 AM »
I have not been able to force an incident, only wait for it to arise. I have not run the repair option yet, as i only have one day into it so i have just been trying all of the non-qb angles so i dont have to screw with it. They are pretty lax on the backups, but i have them doing that today so that i can toy with ease. My current plan is to have them deal with it until end of week, backup, and let me go in sunday when its quiet and run repairs and check versions etc, and see if i can give them a fresh start in a new week.

Another thing i noticed this morning when i was there that they did not mention before. When one of the computers gets the abort error, they ALL get it. Sounds like the server is severing the connection or something.