Author Topic: cars: Help me understand "suspension"  (Read 1803 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
cars: Help me understand "suspension"
« on: July 10, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »
Ok, I know a lot of you know a lot more about cars (and just physics in general) so I thought I'd ask here since my google-foo has resulting in nothing all that simple to understand.

My wife's 2006 Hyundai Tuscon has this frustrating problem of being very difficult to handle on bumpy.  Specifically, it feels like the back end is swaying, as if it were a rear-wheel-drive car trying to make a tight turn on an icy road.  I doesn't ACTUALLY sway that much, but it feels like you have about the same amount of control for that split second.  At first we really noticed it the most on slippery roads and thought it was the tires which we replaced to little avail.  Then we realized that its anytime one of the real wheels hits a bump; even if its just a crack in the pavement or a manhole cover, it feels like you just hit a curb.  Wet, snowy or otherwise slippery roads just applify the effect.  The whole car jerks out from under you.

So I'm thinking it has something to do with the suspension.  But I have no idea what.  for the record, the specs on the car say it has "multi-link rear suspension independent with stabilizer bar and coil springs."  My understanding is that the stabilizer bar helps to stiffen the opposite side of the vehicle to help prevent rollovers and that a downside of that is a bumpier ride.  I don't really know what multi-link means. 

Anyone want to educate me on how suspension feature work and/or if it sounds like thats the root of my problem? The next question is, is this behavior normal for our car or is there something wrong with it?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: cars: Help me understand "suspension"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 08:01:36 AM »
It sounds like maybe (if you have it) the automatic stability control is twitchy.  Just a guess though.  I am no suspension expert.

[edit] Probably the yaw sensor.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 11:10:57 AM »
Thanks Kunck.  I'm going to google more about what exactily a yaw rate sensor does and what symptoms a malfunctioning one may cause. 

Attached is a technical bulletin I found, issued by Hyundai, regarding "ESC (ESP) HECU AND YAW RATE SENSOR INTERCHANGEABILITY. " 

Whatever that means?!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
It is interesting that there is an updated sensor...