Author Topic: plugging some music  (Read 2042 times)

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
plugging some music
« on: May 16, 2006, 01:32:04 AM »
the mathematicians - XOXO
they played at this music venue i work at, and they're amazing. it's hiphop/techno-ish type stuff, with a strong emphasis on math and sometimes politics. they're only famous in the albany area but i think they've toured across the country before. the song i linked to above sounds like the postal service, if anyone here's into them

andrew eckel - paperweight startingblock
he's a friend who lived a few doors down from me the past year. he made this album called summer heat which is mostly mellow stuff but very well done.

nic engel - a single breath held
he's a folk singer who has an excellent grasp of guitar. he's mostly a friend of a friend, and he lived around where i live now back when he lived on campus
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 01:35:15 AM by ygfperson »

Stephen

• Jackass IV
Re: plugging some music
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 06:17:50 PM »
Ooh, I like that Mathematicians song. Reminds me of like a cross between The Shins and The Postal Service almost. The Nic Engel piece somewhat creeped me out, so I didn't finish. Cool guitar, but the vocals... not my thing.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:40:09 AM »
Hmm, I liked the vocals in "A Single Breath Held." It kinda felt Jars of Clay-esque. XOXO definitely had a Postal Service feel to it.  "Paperweight Starting Block" was ....cute?  All of the stuff was pretty chill.

Stephen

• Jackass IV
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 06:41:36 PM »
After reading your post, I listened to A Single Breath Held again, and I do rather like it. The beginning merely creeped me out.