Poll

Considering actual risk vs costs, what should I buy to better protect my family

Buy 3 Nests (2 upstairs, 1 at top of basement stairs)
0 (0%)
Buy 2 Nests (both upstairs, leave existing basement detectors in place)
0 (0%)
Buy 1 Nest for upstairs for upstairs hallway and thats it
0 (0%)
Buy 1 Nest for upstairs PLUS several dumb detectors for bedrooms and kitchen
1 (50%)
Just buy a couple dumb traditional smoke detectors
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Nest Smoke/CO2 Detector?  (Read 2223 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Nest Smoke/CO2 Detector?
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »
So we all almost died this morning.
Like an idiot, I left a pizza box and yesterday's junk mail on top of our stove for lack of counter space.  At some point early this morning the stove top was turned on (I presume by our cat).  Thank God I woke up to the smell of smoke and had the presence of mind in my groggy state to realize something was wrong.  I got to the smoldering pile of cardboard embers and paper just as the it was starting to really flame up and was able to quickly douse it out.  Now the house is fully of smoke but there was no other damage and everyone's ok. 

Our house has two smoke/CO2 detectors.  They're both in the basement.  I'm going to fix this situations, probably today.  The questions now are what type of detectors should I buy, how much should I spend and how many do I really need and where should I put them.

I really want a Nest Protect. https://nest.com/smoke-co-alarm/meet-nest-protect/

A month or two ago I researched them quite a bit but in the end didn't want to spend the money because while 1 device is an affordable and justifiable expense, buying multiple ones adds up very quickly and part of their coolness is the interconectivity of having multiple devices.

Our house is a fairly small 1000 square feet. 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, living room and a kitchen+dinning area.  It's recommended that you have a detector in each bedroom and outside the sleeping area.  That's 4 right there. Not happening.  But I could put one in the hallway outside the bedrooms that are all clustered together.  But thats not the side of the house with the kitchen/dinning and living room.  So I suppose I could get 2, one at the end of the hall by the bedroom doors and one in the kitchen?  Although, they'd only be like 40 feet apart.  And If I'm going all in on the nest, do I get one for the basement even though there's already 2 traditional detectors (one near the furnace, one at the top of the stairs).

Or do I just cheap out and buy a few affordable regular dumb smoke detectors.

Thoughts?
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Nest Smoke/CO2 Detector?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
Can we talk about your floor plan instead? Floor plans are fun. Except this floor plan. One of your kids has no door to their room. That's dangerous, not fun. Do you slide a tray of food through a trap door three times a day or something?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:15:33 AM »
To answer your actual question... I'd be really tempted to buy a Nest, but I just don't think I could justify the cost if I'm on a budget.

If I wasn't on a budget, or if my budget included $150 for "fun" stuff, then I'd get two and position them like you suggested upstairs.

Honestly, I don't know the details of smoke detector efficacy, but I've heard you should have one in each bedroom. It might be better to do that with the cheaper ones than invest in a cool Nest.

(P.S. I voted buy 1 nest plus several dumb ones even though I suggested to buy 0 nests because I just have a hard time killing your dream.)

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »
CO detectors can be very short lived.  Be ready to replace them fairly regularly.  That has been my experience.  Also they are infamously inaccurate.  Typically +/- 25 to 30% by specification and IRL they can be much worse especially as they age.

We had the best luck with First Alert.  We would get three packs for around $15. 

Something like this.... https://www.amazon.com/CO400-Battery-Powered-Carbon-Monoxide/dp/B000N8OYXI?psc=1&SubscriptionId=0K76CZ6RCX2Y05HSNPR2&tag=plp-wtb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000N8OYXI&ascsubtag=carbon-monoxide-detectors

or this

https://www.amazon.com/CO400-Battery-Powered-Carbon-Monoxide/dp/B000N8OYXI?psc=1&SubscriptionId=0K76CZ6RCX2Y05HSNPR2&tag=plp-wtb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000N8OYXI&ascsubtag=carbon-monoxide-detectors

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 06:02:43 PM »
Get the dumb ones.  I know it's cool to have the Nest but seriously, it's a smoke detector.  Go normal and move on with your life.

Also, I don't know if I've heard the rule of 'in every bedroom'.  We have 1 in the basement, one on the first floor in the front hallway, and one in the hallway at the top of the stairs between all 4 bedrooms.  They're all connected so that if one goes off they all go off.  That might be the only part you would be missing but if the house isn't that big you will likely hear it either way.