Author Topic: Vacuum Seal  (Read 2708 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Vacuum Seal
« on: October 17, 2021, 01:00:56 AM »
was gonna ask this in the "canning" thread but curious if any of you own/use a vacuum sealer?

google says the way to go is "foodsaver" brand.  Seems like Costco has reasonable deals to get the machine and starter "bags"

I'm a family of 5 now and we have a second freezer in the basement.... should I be buying in bulk and air-vac'ing/freezing?  Seem's like the way to go but, what are the pros and cons
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Vacuum Seal
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 07:58:45 AM »
The costco one is the one we have. Just an 8lder model, we got our like 3 years ago. It is decent, but not great. It does a good enough job of sucking air out of bags with dry food, but when you have any type of  moisture, it "sucks". Even with the "moist" option selected, I have to go through the process 3 or 4 times to achieve the result I want. So as soon as the vac cycle ends and right as it starts sealing, I turn it off and start another vac cycle.

I had an old foodsaver before that had a "more" button. Pressing it extended the vac cycle. It was awesome.

Other than that it is fine.

Is it the way to go? For some things, yes, but only if you end up using what's in your freezer instead of buying fresh because it is more convenient.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: Vacuum Seal
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 06:45:40 AM »
ahh, good to know. thanks for the feedback.

I see your point about just buying fresh for the convenience.  I could see that happening so it's a good point.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."