Author Topic: New laptop!  (Read 2890 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
New laptop!
« on: December 23, 2021, 04:50:23 PM »
So I'm trying to get back into live streaming pinball again and some Steam gaming so I built a couple of SFF machines but even though they're pretty compact they're still a bit of a pain to bring out and about. I did get a really nice Black Friday portable ASUS monitor and had been looking at maybe a Phantom Canyon NUC. Ultimately I started shopping for gaming PCs and settled on the ASUS ROG Flow X13 with the 3050ti onboard. It should be more than enough to power the live streaming rigs and is nice and portable. I'm probably going to dual boot it and leave at least a little bit of a Windows partition to play around with but trying it out reminds me just how foreign the Windows OS feels now. I hardly remember how to do anything in it or where to find the things I do remember.
I don't really plan to get the XG mobile gpu but it is a nice option to have I guess. The biggest thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the limited 16GB RAM that I can't upgrade later. Also, the SDD is 1TB so I'm fine, but I was hunting for a secondary one to swap for the OSs and it's super hard to find a 2230 nvme m.2 drive. A small compromise for form factor I guess.
I really like the idea of flipping it in the stand mode for better cooling and using my external keyboard, mouse, and portable monitor with the rig. All which fit easily in a backpack with my travel routers to isolate my network. Now I just need to figure out a more portable way to have multiple camera rigs.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: New laptop!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 12:40:22 AM »
Sounds pretty sweet.  I haven't been in the market for a laptop in a long time so I'm a little out of touch there.