Author Topic: SimCity Societies  (Read 2573 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
SimCity Societies
« on: December 09, 2007, 11:15:11 PM »
Picked this up yesterday and I got to say it is fun.  You can make a town geared towards exploiting the little man or a hippiefest town and a lot in between.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: SimCity Societies
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 07:25:53 AM »
Most reviews I've heard of this have been really negative :(

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:25:07 AM »
Good thing I don't read reviews :P

The camera control could be a little better (I need to remember to invert the x axis so it'll work like I expect).  On the easist setting it is pretty relaxed and I haven't had any problem building my city.  At the worst I had to crank up the game speed and wait a few minutes to build up my money reserve.

I haven't played any of the SimCity games since SimCity 2000 and I'm liking this a lot more.  For one thing I like that I just have to build power plants and not have to worry about running power lines everywhere and there is no sewer or subway lines to run.  There is a subway but all you have to do is build the enterences to it and the game does the rest.

In the game the is a news ticker at the bottom of the screen that gives some useful information but they throw in a lot of crazy stuff.  One was "Century old papers reveal life was different a century ago".  Dunno why but that made me chuckle.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 09:48:29 AM »
That sounds like SimCity for trainables

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 10:55:31 AM »
That sounds like SimCity for trainables
The social engineering aspect of it is actually far more interesting then the city buiding part of it.  I got all but one achivement and the last one is going to be a PITA I think.  Have to have a large population that has spent a lot of authority and not have too many unhappy or happy sims.  It is actually pretty easy to have happy sims as you just build venues.

That said I think the game would have done better if they called it SimSocieties instead.  Then people wouldn't expect the city micromanagement.