Author Topic: More Google Kool-Aid  (Read 2877 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
More Google Kool-Aid
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:35:33 PM »
I watch the presentation on Google's latest cool thing
wave.google.com

It's a sort of combination of Email, IM, Wiki, document management, collaboration, games, etc, etc...

It's worth the hour and a half to watch the video. It looks to me like a game changing technology and I the most interesting part is it looks like you'll (theoretically) be able to run the system "privately" without your data going through Google, yet still allow you to interact with others.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Re: More Google Kool-Aid
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 05:38:39 AM »
Looks like a cool idea. I dont' like some of the design choices (like editing other peoples messages) but I'm sure that will all work itself out as they start getting beta users.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:16:01 AM »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »
I don't think that guy paid attention to the video. Some of his points were addressed in the video, like people seeing what you're typing at the same time (which can be disabled if you want) (reason 2).

For reason 3, since Wave acts like a tree, you can actually talk behind people's backs without everyone else seeing your sub-conversation. Not to mention, you can spin off a Wave (branching for us version control folk) yet pick up changes to the original if you want to since it knows about it's parent. Then you can share the copied version with other people. If people will actually do that is another issue.

And for reason 1, the idea of editing the original (which is all version controlled so there is no data loss) is that you can have a concise thread of discussion rather than having to weed through many forwards and "hidden" added content in the replies.

Some of the demos, like the chess match I think are actually really cool. I tried explaining this to some non-technical friends of mine this weekend and they just didn't get as excited as me, so maybe I'm wrong in thinking this is going to be widely adopted. I'm seeing most people get hung up on the lack of perceived usefulness of the collaboration aspects of the technology.

I wonder if you can remove people from the Wave later (like if they haven't made contributions). I get the feeling it's sort of like a message board where the person who created the Wave is the owner and can actually destroy the Wave if they want to, as seen when the demo shows the guy finishing the Wave and then removing it from the other person's screen repeatedly. Either way, I'm sure it's going to fun to play with. Something tells me now though that it might take a while for non-tech people to adopt, but I'm guessing tech people (especially intranet type stuff) will grow quickly.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
I think people will get into it, but most will probably just use it like email or IM. Overall I think it's a great idea to have a base level object for communications, and to build all types of communication apps (email, IM, wiki style docs) off of it.

The ease at which a wave can move is what worries me a little. Sure, anyone I have a private email conversation with right now can copy the whole thing to their blog, but that really takes a conscious effort, and there's no way to validate that the text really was written by me. In a wave it's actually associated with my account. i don't like the idea that something which started as a private message can so easily end up being shared so widely. They need tighter control for participants.

The other part that bothers me is the ability to edit other peoples messages. Sure it's handy it some cases, but in more IM types of situations it doesn't seem right. I don't want to have to constantly be checking peoples edits to make sure what I've said hasn't been taken out of context.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »
I don't think that guy paid attention to the video

Can you blame him? Those two were so boring omg
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:23:14 AM »
zz...hu...hhuu?  whaaa...

zzzz....zzzz

:)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 09:15:43 AM »
an hour and 20 min?  TLDV!

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
You can get an idea of what the product is in the first 20 or 30 mins. The rest is mostly apis n stuff. The translation demo at the very end is pretty cool though.