Author Topic: Wake up light  (Read 6030 times)

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Wake up light
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2013, 07:34:08 AM »
Some things I've noticed so far:

1. If you have another alarm, make sure you turn it off or move it to a different time than sometime in between your sunrise time.
2. If you have slept for 4 hours, you're going to feel like you've slept for four hours when you wake up regardless of how nice a light is.
3. Going to sleep and waking up is much calmer than before.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 01:14:13 PM »

2. If you have slept for 4 hours, you're going to feel like you've slept for four hours when you wake up regardless of how nice a light is.

:D true. that.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 10:07:48 AM »
I'm liking the light. I find I wake up feeling more awake, I used to always feel sleepy in morning and often snooze an extra hour or three if I didn't have anything in particular scheduled.

I'm trying to find the right place to put the light. I had it on my night stand which was great if I happened to be facing that direction in the morning, but I roll around a lot. If I'm facing the other way I don't get much light. Also, when it's there my wife doesn't really receive the light. I put it on the dresser at the end of the bed last night which light up the room pretty well, but my body mostly blocks the light from my face, and the light is also angled slightly upward since it's intended to be on a nightstand.

I really like waking up to the bird sounds, so much nicer than alarm clock shock.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 10:41:06 AM »
Sill loving the wake-up light. While I've started to get used to it a bit and could probably power snooze through the light if I really wanted, it is still a lot easier to get up in the morning and I definitely feel more awake once I'm up.

If I ever build a house I'm going to have a dimmer in the bedroom and find a way to install something like this as part of the switch. Something like a raspberry Pi or even an old smart phone would be all you'd need.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 04:34:39 AM »
Sill loving the wake-up light. While I've started to get used to it a bit and could probably power snooze through the light if I really wanted, it is still a lot easier to get up in the morning and I definitely feel more awake once I'm up.
Yes, definitely. I recently had a day without the light and waking up took much longer. I've also been relying on the sounds that turn on once the light reaches its full brightness. Maybe I will try without sound on a Saturday and see if there's a difference in how I wake up.

I think one of my problems when I first started using it was that I didn't like it so bright when everything else was so dark, so I set the light setting to 15/20. At 15 though, the light is still on the warmer side, and I think my brain inherently processed that as "too early to wake up." Set it to 18, and I think it's been better.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »
>Maybe I will try without sound on a Saturday and see if there's a difference in how I wake up.

I don't know if I'd wake up with only the light... not at any specific time anyway (though probably earlier than with no light).