Author Topic: chromecast  (Read 4106 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
chromecast
« on: December 18, 2013, 09:53:06 PM »
Decided to pick one up as an impluse buy ($35 is hard to pass on for a new toy) today.  Just got done playing around with it and here is what I found:

- You'll need a device that has a wireless adapter to set it up.  After that you can use any device on your network
- When casting from chrome it casts a particular tab so you can still keep working.
- Netflix streaming was A LOT nicer casting then going through the app on my blueray or TV.  For one it actually has subtitles.
- Not having a remote was kinda a bummer so might have to go look for one.
- Casting from iPhone was only from Netflix or the Youtube app.
- Casting a tab was laggy (about 3 seconds).  Not too bad if you were doing a presentation.
- When casting netflix it doesn't display in tab so I wouldn't be surprised if the device itself was getting the stream

I hear that android devices have better (more native) support but I don't have any to check it with.  Overall I think it is a neat little toy.  I hope the app selection gets expanded and it also gets support for casting other programs (would enjoy KSP on it).

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: chromecast
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »
Cheap and I have been keeping an eye on it.

Adriana Lee has been writing good articles on it keeping the status updated for the readers.  Cool device, though I think the pricier Roku boxes smoke it across the board.

Be fun to watch this thing and your reviews of it. 

Ever have a Roku?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:19:26 PM »
Never used the Roku.  I'm just now finding myself wanting to media center more.  $100 is more than I would spend on an impluse.

Oh and just found this awesome feature:  It can turn your TV on and change the input to the device when you start streaming!  Ok, it isn't really a feature of the device itself.  It is using the HDMI-CEC protocol and your TV has to support it (and on mine I had to enable it).

I see the potential in it but right now it isn't AWESOME!!!! it is just handy and neat.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
omg, I now have a great way to troll my cats.

From my phone I put this video up on the TV and it was hilarious watching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-bEtoNzGHY

I already have my network setup so I can remote into it so I could do this even if I wasn't at home.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:31:17 AM »
See, that image made me chuckle...

I thought about chromecast over black friday. I was looking for super deals on roku or appletv and saw chromecast as an option. I decided against it since it really only did Netflix among things I would want to do (no Hulu or so I hear).

My in-laws were talking about it and I said I didn't want it because it only does Netflix... then they said they had planned to give it to me for Christmas. Oops! I might get it anyway, which would be cool, I just didn't want to buy it myself.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 04:44:48 AM »
Saw the ROKU 2 and 3 series on sale multiple times in the $30 to $50 Range.  I think having the headphone plug in the remote is really innovative.  I know a couple folks with the older ROKU boxes and they really seem to dig them.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
omg, I now have a great way to troll my cats.
This is too much fun.  I might just see if I can't make the spare monitor I have work for this.  I don't want the cats pawing on the TV

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 08:33:24 PM »

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 11:46:19 PM »
This has brought new life to my kindle fire.  Pandora casting and netflix casting from it is really nice.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
I picked one up to replace my xbox (since I basically just used that as a streaming interface).  It's pretty great for what it does, I just hope they add some more app support for spotify and mobile chrome, among other things