Author Topic: BB 8330 & Outlook  (Read 2754 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
BB 8330 & Outlook
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:02:28 AM »
Ok, so someone here at work has an 8330 Curve and I'm trying to connect it to our outlook exchange server.  I know I have the details right but it keeps saying it can't connect to the server.

I also know that others here have BBs and they're connected.  I'm wondering if there is some other piece that I'm missing.  Do I have to do anything to enable ActiveSync on the phone?

The OS is 4.5.  HELP!?  RoD??

webwhy

• Jackass IV
Re: BB 8330 & Outlook
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »
Obes,

I'm going to qualify this by saying I'm not at all an expert.  We outsource all of our email to a service provider in town, and they handle all of this stuff for us.

That being said.  ActiveSync is a proprietary MS mailbox exchange protocol.  As far as I know it's only supported on Windows Mobile Devices and the iPhone.  I know it's not supported by my Blackberry Bold..

How are you currently trying to connect the blackberry to exchange.  I was under the impression that in order to get full mail, calendar, notes integration (via push) it required a blackberry enterprise server (BES) installation.  This software allows the administration of all the devices in the enterprise as well as security policies.  When I got my blackberry, i was given an activation address (BES Server) and a pin number.   I entered those two items a long with my email address and the email account was added to my device and the security policies installed on the phone.  Can you talk to your email admins?

That's the only method I know of connecting to Exchange with a blackberry to get the full blown experience.  You can setup IMAP or POP too, but you won't get calendar, notes, etc.  It also depends on if you exchange administrators have those services available.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
I did talk to them briefly this morning and they looked at my settings and thought it was correct, but no dice.  I don't even think she cares about calendar/notes/etc.  Just mail would be sufficient.  I'm pretty sure we don't have a BES installation, just OWA.  I don't think you can use IMAP with our servers.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »
Thought you went with an iPod?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:10 AM »
I have an iPhone... yes.  Apparently you didn't read about the part where I said it was for someone else.  ;)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:19:47 PM »
https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Apparently I can go here and do it... we'll see.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »
I have an iPhone... yes.  Apparently you didn't read about the part where I said it was for someone else.  ;)

DOH!  Caught skimming.   :D