Author Topic: Almost had a new tablet  (Read 3100 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Almost had a new tablet
« on: February 28, 2015, 10:08:39 PM »
So I picked up one of the new 32GB versions of the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. The device is really nice overall, light, feels good, nice screen and snappy. I wish it had stock Android since I'm pretty used to that and it was still running kitkat but I guess they are pushing lollipop soon.

So the downside. I got it home and started playing with it and when I threw on headphones I started noticing that it had noticeable pink (maybe white/gray) noise whenever it played any audio. After the audio stopped you'd head a second of two of just the noise and then it would shut off. i was very noticeable when you'd place music with low levels (or mute it) and that's all you'd hear. After checking more, it did the same thing through the speakers if you put your ear close. So I returned it but the replacement did the same thing. So I took it back but the lady that put some headphones on in the store couldn't hear it (but it's a quiet kind of thing). I know I'm not crazy since my fiancee heard it but I ended up just returning it since it seems like it might be a hardware thing or maybe a bad batch of op amps or something.

Anyone have have this with any other tablets? I'm wondering if it's just a couple bad units or perhaps something with the 32GB version (available only at Best Buy). I know a guy that has the 16GB version but says he doesn't have the problem (or just doesn't notice it). I need to upgrade my Nexus 7 (2012) but not really impressed but many of the other choices. I was hoping to get something bigger than the 16GB but doesn't really look like anything else is out yet. Not really looking to go over to Apple either. I still have my iPad mini that the finacee uses mostly, maybe there'll be a new LG or ASUS or something out shortly.
This signature intentionally left blank.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: Almost had a new tablet
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 12:30:37 AM »
No audio experience with tablets.  I will keep an eye out for a chance to check.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 11:01:39 PM »
So I took another change and bought one of the 16GB versions hoping it would be better, but alas I think it has the same problem. I did find out though that my $10 Sony earbuds you don't really notice it so I think it's more of a quality thing. I think I'm just going to live with it and keep the 16GB version for now since I need something new and this seems to be the best choice at the moment. In a way I've thought about getting the 32GB version but this does have an SD card and is $50 cheaper so I figure I can put that money towards whatever comes out in the next 6mo or year and hope something else nice comes along. My other option is looking at getting an LG G Pad (which looked nice) but I think I like this one better. Most of the time I'll be using it without the headphones so I'll probably be able to live with it, but there is definitely something up with the audio circuit. Which is sad for a flagship product.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:05:43 AM »
Is USB possible on that? Maybe it is just the headphone jack circuit?
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
What kind of USB you looking for, it has bluetooth for keyboards and such and I think probably supports usb otg but I don't ever use anything like that.

The audio issue isn't just the headphone circuit, you can hear the same thing coming out of the speakers on it if you listen closely. I think most people just don't notice it or aren't in a quiet enough environment.

I'm a bit sensitive to noise and such and like my quiet. I get bothered by electrical noises and things like fan bearings and such too, one of my many eccentricities. My fiancee says she notices is it but it wouldn't really bother her. I also have "nicer" set of headphones so that might be part of it too. Something tells me you won't notice it with a set of Beats or something.

I don't have the problem on the iPad mini, N7 or N4 so it's definitely something with this device.

Overall the device is very nice which is why I'm probably going to get it for a bit. I did swap out Touchwiz with Nova Launcher and that helps make the interface a bit more familiar, TouchWiz seemed to be chewing up battery too so we'll see if that goes away. They're supposed to be rolling out Android 5 too but I don't see the update yet. The screen is gorgeous, and side speakers aren't bad for a tablet, it also has some interesting power saving modes (you can make the screen grayscale which I love).

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:23:54 PM »
I was just thinking the USB DACs that Knuck was showing me earlier would bypass the sound circuitry allowing for better sound.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 05:54:07 AM »
Not a bad idea.  One like you purchased would be nice. 

Mine is kind of on sale at MassDrop if you want a battery powered option.

BTW how is that working out?

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 02:54:25 PM »
It's awesome.