Author Topic: Coronavirus COVID-19  (Read 64906 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2020, 09:28:31 PM »
That's awesome.

On the local subreddit some of the city workers are saying they have to burn PTO if they are unable to work from home (which not everyone is) and if they run out they have to go leave without pay.  Which means they'll be charged for their benefits.  That is beyond fucked up.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2020, 11:09:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/tmhsNdW24BM

If you have a short attention span start at 13:55
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2020, 06:39:23 AM »
The imperial college study that turned a lot of the response around: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1239975682643357696.html

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2020, 06:51:06 AM »
The imperial college study that turned a lot of the response around: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1239975682643357696.html

That's what the video I linked to talks about as well
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2020, 08:47:39 AM »

From what I heard, that's what I thought as well, but the video is reaalllly long.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:53 AM »

From what I heard, that's what I thought as well, but the video is reaalllly long.

it is. I almost fell asleep twiced last night while listening to it :D but the guy seems to be pretty spot on since this thing started

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2020, 10:25:15 AM »
The article was much much better than the video.

tl;dr / tl;dw: So, we're all fucked for a good long while.

On a positive note, it looks like the oldest boomers are ignoring the most of the advice and still going out.  So, they'll die off and stop holding us back.  (/evil /s)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2020, 11:23:23 AM »
So we have a new hire that just hasn't ramped up to the level we want and the contractors we've hired at about the same time have.  So, we were seriously considering letting him go.  But now, that  just kind of sucks even more.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2020, 09:41:14 PM »
How are your kids' doing while at home? Our school started e-Learning this Tuesday and so far so good! my son's teacher(s) are doing an awesome job. My daughter's teacher is a little older (but not much, maybe like 7/10 years older than me) and she is doing OK. My son's instructions each morning are quite detailed and many activities are "interactive". My daughter basically has a list of 5 to 7 things she needs to do. Each day it takes them between 3 to 5 hours to complete everything (including the "may-do" assignments) - they seem to like it. And so do I. We are treating each day like it would be regular school. They get up at the same time, have breakfast, get dressed and start school around 9. Then I make them at noon and they go out side (not today because it was raining/sleeting).

Looks like this will be the norm through April - at least that is what Chicago public schools just announced and the suburban districts often follow what CPS does. I anticipate that they will not go to school for the rest of the school year.

How does it look in your neck of the woods?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2020, 09:43:13 PM »
We have fiber here at the cabin, and I was paying for the lowest bandwidth - but with everyone using it now, it was not enough - a quick phone call, and $24 more a month and we are at double the speed almost with a snap! sweet.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2020, 09:50:27 PM »
we're still holding at "through the end of march" for school...but the national trend is obviously increasing that.  My brother's in Indianpolis and his whole state is now May 1st for a return date.

I'm supposed to be visiting my parents with the girls for easter. Its only a 5 hour drive....but they're thinking of canceling.  Plus, they see all this stuff on facebook and are pretty much convinced that by then, the whole nation will be locked down and you wont be able to cross state borders. 

part of me wants to roll my eyes and assume they're crazy....but then again, all of this is so freaking crazy already.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2020, 09:59:05 PM »
The CA governor made a comment that we should be prepared for schools not to return until after the summer.  While we don't know that will be for sure we are already preparing as though that will be the case.  I would think you'd want to at least have that in mind as well.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »
Yeah, that's been our assumption for awhile as well. Obviously would be great if they re-opened this school year but I'm not holding my breath.

My kids are doing fine with distance learning. The older one is doing great.. ahead of schedule on her work. That's odd because she tends to be a procrastinator but I think it's just that the work is fairly easy at the moment so it is more like 2 hours of work instead of 3-5.

My younger one is treating this more like a sick day where she does 30 minutes of work then goofs off the rest of the day. We've got to nag her a bit more and now I'm going to have her write down all assignments so we can make sure she's keeping up. I'm not worried about her academically I just don't want her to get away with not doing the minimal amount of work here.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2020, 09:00:34 AM »
Our schools aren't doing e-learning (well, at least for my daughter in grad 1). My wife put together a detailed daily schedule with a mix of academic activities, outside play, piano practice, etc...  My daughter is also writing a daily journal about what they do on the morning walk. It's really good but hard to keep them to it. My wife takes it really seriously while I'm a bit more relaxed (which is a problem)...

My kids need activities or they go insane. So keeping them busy is good.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2020, 10:21:42 AM »
Our kids have a few hours of work per day to do.  They've been pretty good about it, especially my daughter... who, like charlie's daughter, tends to be a procrastinator.  I've got them both setup in the basement with computers and they don't like all the work but they're doing it.  I don't know what's going to happen so we're just assuming it will be like this for a while and we're trying to form a routine.  They definitely spend a fair amount of time watching YouTube or playing games but they're doing more learning and school work than I expected.