Author Topic: The Rage In Placid Lake  (Read 4355 times)

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
The Rage In Placid Lake
« on: April 24, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
Top little Aussie comedy staring Ben Lee, Garry McDonald, Miranda Richardson and the extremely hot, sexy, fantastic, drop dead gorgeous, brilliant actress Rose Byrne.  

Basically it's a coming-of-age story, with a few twists.  About a high school kid (Ben Lee) who is raised by a couple of hippies who have no idea what the real world is like, and don't want to know.  At the start of the movie you see young Placid being forced by his mother to wear a pink fairy dress on his first day of school to challenge the other six-year olds preconceived notions of sexuality!

Coming home with his dress torn, face black and blue and tears in his eyes he's told to "Look for the positive in the situation".  

And so his unconventional life continues until the night of his high school graduation, when he makes a film that exposes the truth about his school and his parents (there's a hilarious scene in his film in which his mother (Richardson) confesses to having performed cunnilingus on a friend, much to the horror of his father (McDonald) who proceeds to tear off his clothes and scream about how his penis still has feelings too).  After being chased out of the school hall, he's then thrown off a building by a pack of bullies, subsequently breaking every bone in his body, and winds up spending months in hospital recovering.  During this time he decides he's had enough and rebels against everything he's known by becoming a drone for a multinational insurance corporation.  

Complete with a copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" and a George W. Bush style haircut & suit, he's on his way to become "normal" to impress his friend Gemma (Byrne), who is also going through her own rebellion against her scientist father.

It's a comedy, but there's a bit of drama thrown in for good measure, and the film has a similar coming-of-age feel to "Rushmore" and "Garden State".

Highly recommended.

Movie Poster:
http://thecia.com.au/reviews/r/images/rage-in-placid-lake-0.jpg

salvelinus

• Founders
The Rage In Placid Lake
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 09:51:12 AM »
Um, okay. I uh, don't see how anyone can add to that.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

A Bit of Fruit

• loves threads ALL ABOUT HIM!!
  • Jackass V
  • Frontier Psychiatrist
The Rage In Placid Lake
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 09:59:06 AM »
i fucking hate Ben Lee...and im not alone. At homebake he was playing/singing some gay song and he was getting shouted down big time. Somebody threw a bottle and actually hit the fret board of his guitar, screwing up his song...hilarious.
i have a stationary fetish

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
The Rage In Placid Lake
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 09:40:50 AM »
Ben Lee rocks.

incognito

• In the Abis
  • Jackass IV
The Rage In Placid Lake
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 11:01:13 PM »
Ok i've always heard the phrase but don't really know what it means............"coming of age", would you mind enlightening me please stealth.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
The Rage In Placid Lake
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 02:34:34 AM »