Author Topic: AVATAR  (Read 5027 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: AVATAR
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 09:55:40 AM »
Oh and:  Unobtainium.  That one word alone kills the movie.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 10:11:10 AM »
Eh.  Your opinion.  Doesn't mean I have to share it.  I think most other people in this thread agree with me.  If you can't get past a single word in a movie, I pity you.  What does being low budget have to do with anything?

Did you even pay attention to the details in the movie?  The little things about a different world that someone had to think of?  Stuff that doesn't exist and works completely different in a new world?  If you can't get lost in the fantasy of it all, I can see how you wouldn't like it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »
Low budget summer action movies are allowed to have a crappy story with lots of fluff, it is part of their appeal.  This was not a low budget action movie.

Details of a movie or setting should be transparent to the audience.  Being aware of them means the movie failed to draw you in.  Now there are things like the floating islands that you can use to show the truly alien environment and that is ok (especially since they did it from a human's perspective).

Things like "Unobtainium" breaks one out of the immersion.  Once immersion is broken it is hard to get back in.

I will say that as I've aged (and taken a few film classes [probably a bad idea]) I've demanded more out of the story of the film than the look of the film.  At the same time I try to keep expectations inline with how the film is promoted.  Like when I see a Nicolas Cage movie I don't expect a great film that has me thinking for days on end.  But Avatar promoted itself as this epic movie and, IMO, it failed to live up to it.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »
I agree with Obes that the visuals were on a par with the budget and that there were a few spots where they created some cool ideas and such.  I really dug the battle mech suits.  The story was pretty bland, predictable, and rehashed.  Fail. 

The Unobtainium was unforgivable.  Immersion breaking indeed.  Complete fail.  It was really hard (though possible) to get past a stupid factor that blatant.  I still cannot believe that bullshit.  Unobtainium?  It was like a micro-Jar jar Binks.  Phooey!

We received the 3D- Blu-Ray of Avatar with our new DVD player.  We will probably watch it now and again.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
Why would it be a big deal to make up some kind of element?  Did any of you guys complain about adamantium?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
Adamantium has a cool name. Unobtanium is silly. Ha ha I get it. You can't obtain it so it's unobtainable, let's call it unobtanium. If you're not aware of the reference it really does sound lame.

Not that that's enough reason to not like the movie.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2011, 11:28:20 AM »
Adamantium has a cool name. Unobtanium is silly. Ha ha I get it. You can't obtain it so it's unobtainable, let's call it unobtanium. If you're not aware of the reference it really does sound lame.
Even if you are aware of the reference it sounds lame.

Not that that's enough reason to not like the movie.
But it is one of many reasons.