Author Topic: Jordan Peterson  (Read 9387 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Jordan Peterson
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:42:12 AM »
I'm sure most of you heard of this guy, what do you think? I've been listening to some of his lectures and they are pretty good. A recent Joe Rogan podcast is a good primer to this guy if you have never heard of him. As I listen I start remembering what I was interested in while in college: Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, etc

Anyway, give this guy a shot  :thumbsup: 
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Re: Jordan Peterson
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
Who?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 02:07:16 PM »
Oh that guy.  I agree that it is bad for the government to force you to use preferred pronouns but in my daily life I've had zero issues with it.  Sure, I've had a few eye rolling moments but the majority of time it isn't even a thing.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 02:54:30 PM »
I've heard his name a few places and it sounded like some of his ideas might be interesting but his thoughts on gender and related issues sound like something I'd be in strong disagreement with.

I don't have time (or desire) to read his stuff but if you want to explain something he says that rings true to you I'd be interested in giving my two cents on it.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:37:07 PM »
ethic is such a psychology hipster

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 10:50:32 PM »
I've read this name a few times recently so I listened to a few videos I found on youtube. He definitely has some reasonable views, but he hammers a lot on issues where I really disagree with him. Decrying safe spaces, PC culture, and so forth--in my opinion, that's just an excuse to attack and marginalize minority groups and progressive who support them.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 01:55:02 AM »
Chaws, what gender issues do you disagree with? Is it the gender pay gap? He says it's a multivariable issue that can't simply be boiled down to oppression by the patriarchy. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I don't think that's unreasonable either. As far as what I disagree with, I don't remember enough details to really say, but my recollection is along the lines of what JaWiB posted.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 06:04:29 AM »
Chaws, what gender issues do you disagree with? Is it the gender pay gap? He says it's a multivariable issue that can't simply be boiled down to oppression by the patriarchy. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I don't think that's unreasonable either. As far as what I disagree with, I don't remember enough details to really say, but my recollection is along the lines of what JaWiB posted.

His points are not based on emotional opinion.  He uses studies, facts, and reason.  What is so wrong about his stance on say the gender pay gap point?  Where is his argument failing?

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »

His points are not based on emotional opinion.  He uses studies, facts, and reason.  What is so wrong about his stance on say the gender pay gap point?  Where is his argument failing?

To be clear, ethic gave a description of his opinion on the gender pay gap and I said that I don't think it's unreasonable. Sorry about the double-negative.. did you think I said the opposite?

In general, I am also someone who eschews emotional opinion in favor of studies, facts and reason, so I have no worries that I'll have a problem analyzing his arguments dispassionately. As I said before, though, I don't have a ton of time to go reading or watching him. If there's a particular argument that you guys like other than the one ethic mentioned, I am quite curious to hear it.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »
Separate from whatever Peterson says, my own understanding of the gender pay gap is that it is largely driven by the amount of time women spend away from their careers when having babies. There are also other elements involved, but apparently that has the biggest effect.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 06:01:37 AM »
Yes, having children can be an issue and he makes it clear that this is a real tough choice.  Multiple reasons really but the largest is that women by in large are simply not interested in dealing with the BS (including eschewing children) entailed to reach those pay levels and upper tier positions.  They basically say screw this, this is not what makes me happy and move on.  He gives solid examples found in the studies.  I had no idea.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »
That doesn't explain the pay gap when comparing for the same job though

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
That doesn't explain the pay gap when comparing for the same job though

It can, but individual cases can always have different causes anyway.

And just because I think maternity leave is the largest contributor to gender wage gap doesn't mean I believe that there isn't a problem there. I think society would be better off if we looked for ways to bridge the gap (without discouraging babies).