Author Topic: Mike: My journey from blimp to normal  (Read 35175 times)

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
Mike: My journey from blimp to normal
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:17:11 AM »
Why not :D

Not going to bore you all with my food journal as I keep it elsewhere.

I've been really fat for a number of years and I've known the reasons for it:  Fast food 3 times a day.  In the past I've tried to break it by myself and with clinic dietitians.  I'd make it a week or two but then go back to the old habits.  I hated the dietitians because they were all about "calories in / calories out" which is just one part of it.  I didn't need more education, I needed someone to help take that knowledge and turn it into a plan.

In December I stepped on the scale and saw a number that shocked me: 315.  So did a search for Sacramento area nutritionists / dietitians and found one.  Emailed her and told her what I needed/wanted and she said she could provide it.  First meeting was on Dec 7.  Since then I've lost 24 lbs and am at 291 right now.  My goal is 200 lbs by July 23.  Once I reach that goal I'm going to go to the docs and get her opinion on what my final weight goal should be.  I think BMI is total bullshit so I'm not going to aim for the 160-180 range just because BMI says that is the range I should be at.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Mike: My journey from blimp to normal
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
Good luck brosephine

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:31:15 AM »
Zounds like you are already well on your way. If you can find time i hear crossfit is what really helped my buddy. He was 325ish and i saw him few weeks ago for the first time since march and hes at 225
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »
Exercise is going to be the next task to tackle.  I've gotten my meals under control (or more correctly, in a working condition) so now need to focus on the exercise part.  I've got two major problems in that area:
1) My knees are sensitive.  Even without the weight running would kill them.
2) I get bored with repetitious things.  Which is another reason I hate running.  If my mind is allowed to wander then it just won't work.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
I ride a stationary bike.  It sounds boring, and can be if you don't do something while you do it.  I played games on my phone for a while but you have to pick a game like soduku that won't make you slow down like you would in a game where you maneuver.  I've switched to reading magazines or watching tv lately.  I keep a solid and faster pace doing that.  Although some say you shouldn't keep a consistent pace the whole time, which is why I adjust the tension a few times during a session.  I've been doing between 8 and 10 miles in a session. 

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:16:00 PM »
It's kinda funny: I can't do a stationary bike for 10 minutes but I can do a road bike for an hour.  I don't want to distract my mind as much as I want to engage it.  I'm weird.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »
Crossfit isnt too high impact on the knees and mixes up enough to not be routine
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:42:00 PM »
Found a crossfit place just down the street and sent them an email.  Looks like they have a good schedule too.

BTW I find it stupid that insurance won't cover my nutritionist because she isn't in a clinic.  They covered the nutritionist at was in my doctor's office.  But with the change in diet I'm actually saving almost enough to cover paying her.  And I think after this next session we'll be moving to 30 minute appointments instead of hour appointments which will reduce the cost.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
The best advice I can give with crossfit is do not quit. Those first two weeks are insane and I quit. Had I stuck with it, I'd be a ripped SOB by now.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »
> Crossfit isnt too high impact on the knees

Anything that relies on olympic lifts as much as Crossfit does is going to be a lot harder on the knees than other things, especially if you're just starting

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 03:55:54 PM »
The CF program I was in didn't have that, so my bad. I would do the program and just avoid the things you are not comfortable with, then.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 03:58:39 PM »
I have an initial session scheduled for tomorrow.  I made it clear in the email about my knees and will talk to him further tomorrow.  As long as I avoid the jarring impact like you get with running I should be ok.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 04:04:54 PM »
I'm excited for you, there are no classes near me and I see the results that Pat got. I literally didn't recognize him and this is a man I have known for 12 years and spent more time in close quarters with then I have with myself.

I did manage to track down a Krav Maga class nearby though.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
I was really excited this evening as I finished putting the plate together for dinner.  Half was veggies, quarter was rice, and another quarter was chicken breast.  Man, how the plate has changed in the last 6 weeks.  Oh and it was a good and fulfilling meal.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 11:16:22 AM »
:dblthumb2: