Author Topic: Fantasy Football Keeper League  (Read 39637 times)

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Fantasy Football Keeper League
« on: July 06, 2007, 11:35:33 AM »
http://www.fleaflicker.com/showLeague.do?leagueId=14317&invite=true
League name: ESink Keeper
League password: esink (this is a private league and requires a password)

Draft is currently set for 9/5 at 8:30 EST.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:42:27 AM by ober »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Fantasy Football Keeper League
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:58:47 PM »
If there's room I'd like in.

P.S. What's up Ober! Lose a bet or something?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:33:55 PM »
:fu:

So what are the rules for this?  How many players are we keeping year to year?  What are the rules for trading keepers and injured keepers?

I've never done a keeper league, so this is all new to me.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 01:35:13 PM »
I've never done a keeper league, so this is all new to me.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 01:50:41 PM »

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
A lot of that is specific to ESPN leagues, not necessarily how Fleaflicker does it.

I set up a keeper test ES league to play with the commish options. It looks like there are really only two settings specific to keeper leagues. The first is number of keeper players. I think 3 is a good number, although 2 or 4 might be acceptable as well.

The second option is how to do the draft order. Because you play each year and get to keep your best players, it doesn't necessarily make sense to snake the draft order (reverse order every other round). So they have an option to do a regular NFL style draft where the worst team from the year before always picks first in every round. I like this idea, at least for future seasons when we have a legitimate order to go from. You can customize it to do a regular draft for only the first 3, 4 or 5 rounds, then revert to snake.

My suggestion would be to snake every round this first year, since we have no keepers, then in future years do the regular NFL style draft.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 04:01:58 PM »
That's one set of rules... we can make up our own.  

I suggest the following:

- 2 players are "keepers"
- you can trade/drop a keeper but the pickup/traded player must be the new keeper
- if we can set the draft order, the worst team the previous year gets first draft pick and so on

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 04:07:11 PM »
- you can trade/drop a keeper but the pickup/traded player must be the new keeper

What's the point of this one?

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 04:10:22 PM »
Do you have to set the "keeper" players at the beginning of the first year or can you pick who you're going to keep at the end of the season?

I'd prefer 3 keepers

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 04:19:15 PM »
Well, I went around this with a guy here at work that has been through one.

The reason to have only 1 or 2 keepers is that if someone in the first year picks up 3 or 4 stud keepers, there's little to no chance that the other teams will ever have a chance of beating that person.

Charlie, the reason to drop a keeper is if that person is injured for the rest of the season or retires.  What do you propose we do in that situation?

And I suggest we choose the keepers at the end of the season, not the beginning.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 04:28:46 PM »
I agree we should choose the keepers at the end of each season or before the draft for the next season (meaning you always pick a keeper from your roster after that roster has completed its season).

Charlie, the reason to drop a keeper is if that person is injured for the rest of the season or retires.  What do you propose we do in that situation?

I was assuming you can always drop your keepers or treat them like any other player. In other words, the only thing special about keeper players is that you designate them after the season and in the next years draft the keepers are automatically assigned to your team before the draft starts. Otherwise they are regular players and can be traded, dropped or anything else.

The thing I was confused about is the "but the pickup/traded player must be the new keeper". I can see that applying to offseason trades, but during the season I was imagining that there's no such thing as a keeper player. It would only apply to the changeover of the roster from one season to the next.

I'm fine with 2 or 3 keepers. I can totally see the argument for 2. Ideally, we'll be playing this for more than a couple years, though, so even if somebody goes all dynasty and lucks out with three great players that wouldn't be the end of the world. So, in summary, I have no preference between 2 and 3.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 06:12:14 PM »
I guess I don't see how 3 single players can completely dominate a league.  Obviously there are dominant players, but I don't see how 2 keepers would affect overall league scoring more than 3.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 08:04:33 PM »
So a reasonable possible players someone could have drafted with last year's prospects: LT, Brees, Fitzgerald (or any other top WR).  Even given the last 1st round pick (and 1st second round pick), that team would be scary! 

Therefore, to keep things voilitile, I think I'd only go for 2 keeprs.  However, it would be interesting if we did something like 3 keepers, but 1 of them had to be ranked below 50th for their position in the previous season. 

Either way though, I think an NFL style draft is the way to go, though I think I'd go for the option of snaking after a few rounds.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 04:09:11 AM »
govt
ober
kerm
char
csho
gofr (cheezy friend)
pjye

That's seven... anybody else express interest in the keeper?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 01:24:18 PM by charlie »