Author Topic: Smartphones  (Read 7650 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
Smartphones
« on: August 19, 2011, 11:53:15 AM »
So about a month ago I broke down and bought a "smartphone". I got the Samsung Nexus S, which is the latest Google phone. I have to say that I love the phone, it's just so damn convenient having access to maps, mail, and internet in general. It's also a nice time waster when you're stuck waiting in line somewhere. Even when not using 3G, the phone is a nice couch surfing device to check mail/facebook. The barcode scanning app has also proved useful, scanning a book at a store and seeing that it was cheaper both online and at another bookstore not far from where we were.

A couple of observations:
 - Android (2.3) is awesome, I like it better than iOS, though I only played with an iPhone for a few minutes. It seems easier to organize apps and I've also noticed a few apps are free for Android, but paid for iPhone (e.g., turn-by-turn navigation and the star map app that follows your movement from the commercial)

- The voice recognition is amazing. I can dictate multi-sentence text messages and it is almost perfect. Usually not more than one or two words get messed up. I also use if for map search and it generally gets the spoken addresses right with no problems. You can also say things like "Send email to John with Subject lunch ... hey John, lets get lunch ...." and it will pick out the app (email), the subject line, and the message body.

- The Nexus S may be one of the last smartphones to not try and be a tablet. All of the latest phones are dual-core with giant screens. That may sound cool for computing, but a friend of mine bought one (the Galaxy II) and he gets about 7 hours of battery life. I try to charge mine every night, but I can go two full days on a charge if needed.

- You don't need a huge data plan. I use my data freely and haven't come close to the 500mb limit. I have Wifi at home, at work, around campus, at the coffee shop, etc... That makes a big difference. But even without Wifi, as long as you are not streaming video you'll have a hard time exhausting a 500mb quota.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Smartphones
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »
In general I like Android but it's not hard for one fucked up app to wreck your system and cause problems elsewhere.  I've never had that happen on my iPhone.

I have turn by turn with a couple free apps on iOS.  Mapquest probably has the best one, IMO.

Most of the good voice recognition apps for the iPhone are not free.  I haven't found one that isn't shitty yet that's free.

I get really good battery life out of my iPhone except for when I'm using a heavy GPS app (Waze).  I can usually go for 2 days or so without plugging in if I'm just doing music/podcasts, checking email, and playing games.

And yeah, I load up a game all the time when I'm waiting for shit.  I don't know what I used to do in those situations besides just staring at the wall.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:27:41 PM »
When google was giving away the Nexus S for free a while ago I was super close to buying one. But I can't justify the cost of the data plan so I didn't do it. :(

But yeah... smart phones are awesome.

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 05:17:18 PM »
>>I've also noticed a few apps are free for Android, but paid for iPhone (e.g., turn-by-turn navigation and the star map app that follows your movement from the commercial)<<

What app do you use for turn-by-turn navigation on Android?  I'm having a hard time finding one that is actually turn-by-turn.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »
It's called "Navigation beta" by Google and it came already installed on the phone. It does turn-by-turn and even pronounces the street names pretty well.

Looks like it's included in the latest Google Maps update:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps&feature=search_result

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
Another awesome app I found is called "Where's my Droid?". You can set up code words that, when texted to your phone, reply with the GPS coordinates of the phone and a link to show the phones location in Google maps. So if my phone is lost or stolen I can track it as long as it is on.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »
... and the GPS isn't disabled.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
No no no....

You guys need Lookout Mobile Security if you are going to go that route. If someone steals the phone and disables the GPS, this program will turn it back on, locate it, show you a very detailed map, and if you pay for it (very reasonable) you can sound an alarm (to find it in the house), completely wipe it, report to police, and more.

As for GPS, telenav is also free generally.

If you root it (i suggest it) pay the six bucks for Titanium Backup Pro.

If you like hiking and outdoors stuff, get Backcountry Navigator....it works exactly like handheld GPS along with tracks, waypoints, downloadable maps, and more.

I have a TON of apps but those ring up as my favs.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »
Oh and lookout also scans every single app you install. It takes seconds and it has actually warned me an app might be a faulty pos and it was right.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

drakkenkorin

• Jackass VI
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 05:12:30 PM »
It's called "Navigation beta" by Google and it came already installed on the phone. It does turn-by-turn and even pronounces the street names pretty well.

Looks like it's included in the latest Google Maps update:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps&feature=search_result

I got that one, but stopped using it since my battery drains like a mofo when GPS is enabled.  May have to give it a try though, getting lost in Japan is not a fun feeling :D
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 06:39:55 PM »
... and the GPS isn't disabled.

Yeah, true. If someone steals it and disables the GPS it won't work... although I could at least keep making the phone ring for 5 minute durations until they get annoyed enough to pull out my SIM.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 02:49:19 AM »
Like I said, even the free version of Lookout Mobile will reactivate the GPS. It uses multiple associations with the phone to manipulate it. It can use my email that is linked with the phone to change settings.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »
I didn't know where to post this and there are a lot of phone threads already on this board. this was the most recent one i found searching for the phrase "smartphone"

so, I think I'm going to take the smartphone plunge.  I've decided on the Android route. I have Verizon.

what should I get?  The new Razor looks cool from the commercials but its really expensive.  Other suggestions? 

They all kinda look the same.  If they have the same droid os, does that mean they all have the same features?  (aside from the obvious hardware differences)

Also, do any of you use the google voice app exclusively? My plan is to make all my calls and texts through google voice but I'm wondering how difficult it is to jump through those hoops.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »
I don't because I have an unlimited plan anyway. Not too up to date on the VZW phones, but I always check out phonescoop.com

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 07:59:47 AM »
I have a Droid 2 with verizon and am very happy with it. I picked that over Droid X mainly because of the real keyboard. Droid 3 is out right now and if I had to upgrade I think I would get it - but the new razr looks good too.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.