Author Topic: Intel or AMD  (Read 6487 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Intel or AMD
« on: May 07, 2007, 02:18:20 PM »
I'm going to start building another computer for my recording studio and demote my current one to the upstairs office (which will double as my network storage server).

I'm torn between going with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 or Intel Core2 Duo setup. I've got all the other parts picked out except for the CPU/MB. I used to be a big AMD fan back in the day but lately I've been buying Intel. Now I'm thinking of switching back over to AMD.

What do you guys run currently (in you favorite box).

I'm leaning the AMD route right now.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Intel or AMD
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 03:23:37 PM »
Intel... but only because I knew someone that could get me a good deal.  I'd be running AMD otherwise.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 05:53:06 PM »
Intel is WAY ahead of the curve right now with no signs of slowing down.  Before bigfoot whines about me being an Intel bitch, tha last machine I built (for Mom) was AMD.  NOTHING against AMD.  It is just Intel's time in the lime light right now.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 08:36:07 PM »
Intel is WAY ahead of the curve right now with no signs of slowing down.  Before bigfoot whines about me being an Intel bitch, tha last machine I built (for Mom) was AMD.  NOTHING against AMD.  It is just Intel's time in the lime light right now.

I couldnt possibly disagree more. It has been a long time since intel has known what its like to be the best. AMD all the way.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:43:48 PM »
Ober?

yoshi

• I AM A COW
  • Jackass III
  • Thingy
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 03:59:06 AM »
Now: Intel
Later: Don't know.

- from a person with an X2 3800+ and a C2D T7200.

Ober?
won't fit in case.
GO AWAY

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:49:42 AM »
HAA HAA - Dwen!

AMD is expected to catch back up to Intel by about August 2008, so if you are really into, and must have AMD wait a year.

I say go Intel for now utilizing an Intel mobo.  Right now there is no competition.  Intel has a strong performance lead that even the AMD nuts cannot deny.  Price to processor Intel has it.  Also for the fiirst time in a while (looong while) Intel has cooled their chips down and decreased their energy needs significantly.

I have been watching the two companies products very closely lately, as I have a few PC builds coming up and need to get best performance for price for my customers.  I also take cooling/noise/power drain into very serious consideration.  Right now it is just Intel's turn.  Nothing wrong with that.

I can recommend other pieces when you decide to build.  Case, ps, etc.  Kind of helps to know how you plan to use it tho.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 02:00:43 PM »
I say go Intel for now utilizing an Intel mobo.  Right now there is no competition.  Intel has a strong performance lead that even the AMD nuts cannot deny.  Price to processor Intel has it.

I disagree. As far as money intel has always been the pricier one as far as cost v performance is concerned, and thats still the case. As for performance, intel is so far behind amd i cant even put them in the same ballpark. But to each his own.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 06:29:49 PM »
Dude!

Intel outperforms AMDs best and has for months.  It is not opinion here...it is just the way it is.

Check out any reputable sight doing comparos.

:dunno:

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 07:20:27 PM »
RoD... you're completely wrong.  You just are.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 10:29:19 PM »
RoD... you're completely wrong.  You just are.

If you guys say so. i build new pcs for people all the time and some love amd, some love intel. in my experience intel falls short, and i will always use AMD. But its like i said before, to each his own.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »
Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but look at the fucking benchmarks.  AMD hasn't been on par in months... probably closer to a year.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 11:23:55 AM »
Benchmarks are so subjective though. I used to bank alot on them, and these days i barely even use them. I've really come to respect the butt dyno

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 03:56:20 PM »
Holy crap.  Benchmarks are all about being non-subjective.  WTH?

I want what RoD is smoking and or drinking!

AMD is and has been way behind for a long time and has nothing in the near future that is going to change that.  That is that.

For $ to Performance now and in the next six months go Intel.

If you can wait a year we shall see....

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 05:04:29 PM »
maybe im using the wrong wording, im good at that. What i mean is this, and i will use my game pc and my friends as an example. im not going to get specific, since im waiting to walk out the door (pool night!).

I had an amd, he had an intel. comparable specs, we happen to have the same amount of ram (same brand, too), vid card, and hard drives. same watt psu's. So they were pretty well matched. His out-benched mine by almost 2,000pts on 3 different softwares, several diff times. But when it came to actual performance, the important part, mine always won hands down. That has been my experience with almost all amd computers i have built vs intel. Even ones other have built.

So for me, the amd chips i have spent less on have gotten me farther then the intels that cost more. Most recently with an FX dual core vs an intel dual core.