Author Topic: Serious help needed  (Read 5330 times)

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Serious help needed
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 03:17:33 PM »
Just curious... what's the cold/freezing thing all about?

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 03:43:54 PM »
Alot of different people have alot of different answers for that. There is also those who feel its pointless, and others who swear it works. I will say i have tried it more times then i could really document, and its worked the majority of the time long enough to recover data.

The understanding i have is the cold causes the internals to contract, sometimes causing a connection that would normally be lost. I think this method is better served on those older drives (ie metal not glass) because the metal contracts and allows parts to move freeley that may have been previously rubbing.

Hitatchi sent a new drive should be here tomm or saturday just got to send this one back. Really fucking sucks.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 10:23:46 PM »
Any chance u guys think i can swap the parts between the two drives before i send the defective back? I'm thinking if i open mine up, open the new one, that i should be able to use the good parts from the new drive in place of the bad parts from my drive to save the files.

Thoughts?
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 12:05:07 AM »
Any chance u guys think i can swap the parts between the two drives before i send the defective back? I'm thinking if i open mine up, open the new one, that i should be able to use the good parts from the new drive in place of the bad parts from my drive to save the files.

Thoughts?
It'll probably void the warrenty on both drives.  There are no user serviceable parts inside a HD.  In addition I doubt you have a clean room to do the work in.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 12:32:04 AM »
It only voids the warranty if they can tell.

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »
They can tell, because both drives will be buggered.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »
So at worst i get my data off and they charge me 50 bucks for the drive....maybe i can find one cheap on ebay. It seems worth a try to recover my pictures and documents. the music is gone i have come to terms with that. I have a 250gb with most of it in NJ somewhere

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »
Dude, it isn't a hard concept but you just don't seem to be getting it.  NO GOOD WILL COME OUT OF OPENING A HARD DRIVE

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
These things are too prescision engineered Steve...Sorry to say it, but without the $ for data recovery, I think you're screwed.
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 06:43:17 PM »
The more research i do, the more i read about people successfully doing what i am proposing

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 06:53:02 PM »
Well if you want to be out the cost of the drive and and two broken drives then be my guest.  I'm sure someone who has been trained and has the equipment and workspace could probably do it.  But it sounds like you don't have any of that.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 08:06:13 PM »
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this blowwwwssss

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 10:02:59 AM »
The more research i do, the more i read about people successfully doing what i am proposing

Link?

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 10:06:56 AM »

Thoughts?

Have you ever seen the inside of a modern hard drive?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 10:09:49 AM »
I say go for it!

It'll make an entertaining post either way.
This signature intentionally left blank.