Author Topic: walkie talkies  (Read 6655 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: walkie talkies
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
they might be over-heating; their duty-cycle probably isn't rated for continuous use.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »
told u
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »
I have a hard time with over heating because they worked all last year...plus they failed in 30 degree weather on my Friday...

Resetting etc didn't help - not that I had time to let it cool - there were cars, adn I needed to call them so we could get the keys out the door...

What did you tell me RoD - what should I get instead?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
Motorola TalkAbouts.  Durable great and battery life.

Eh we sold those at radiosmack and they seemed to come back alot. Might it was isolated most MOTO stuff is top notch, specially radio's

^^

You could pick up some midland's. Usually in the 20-50.00 range and they hold up very well for a basic radio. Easy to use but offer a lot of more advanced features if you choose to use them. You can get them at Menards, Walmart, Radioshack i think, Home Depot probably, etc
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »
Sounds good - I'm going to recommend these if I need to rec a new set:  http://www.midlandradio.com/Hunting2.1QY/LXT112VP

Thoughts?
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »
Cant speak for those, but gimme a few and i'll run out to the truck and grab mine and see what model they are. Got to charge em up anyway

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
Rugged?  Good with rain/continuous use?

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »
Rugged?  Good with rain/continuous use?

Rugged for sure. They spend most of their time rolling around the floor of my truck and you cannot even IMAGINE how rough that is haha. Monster cans constantly emptying on them, people step on them, they fall out into parking lots, etc. Then when they are in use mine is always clipped to my vest and i use a remote mic, but when fugitives fight it has often been ripped off and thrown, fallen out windows, slammed against walls between me and the wall, etc. Of the six we have not a single one has been broken.

Battery life is impressive for the amount of use we put on them when we go out. Do NOT leave it in the car when its cold (read: 35 and under) out because the battery will drain right out over night even if its off. As for rain i left one in the snow for about an hour last week with my toughbook and it still works.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »
We have had a set of Motorola Talkabouts at work getting the shit beat outta them for years.  No issues.  Much heat.  You got duds.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 06:25:54 AM »
It's two seperate sets dudding out at once. Odds of that are too low. It's the units. You got lucky.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2010, 06:39:08 AM »
Nah.  There are pairs all over the plant.  I talked to the maintenance group in the plant before I purchased our (relatively cheap) set.  They love em because of the lack of issues.  I don't know what to tell you.  They probably have ten or fifteen sets.   :dunno:

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:21 AM »
You called the plants maintenance group before you bought them?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 09:46:51 AM »
Plant maintenance.  Why wouldn't I?  BTW called them again to see if they still use them.  Yes.  Not as much anymore since we got a cell phone repeater in plant.  Two have failed.  One got doused in coolant.  The other failed a switch (power?).  He wasn't sure how many sets they have.  A shitload...  They used to replace the batteries yearly, but with the use they are getting these days they replace as needed. 

He also mentioned that the belt clips break off pretty often, but that happens with the cell phones too. 

Security has Motorola W/T also but of the professional series.  $$$$

Maybe they make them cheaper these days.  Ours are at least 6 years old now.  BTW RoD is right Midland makes good product.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »
Makes sense - thought you meant Motorolla's maintenance...that's a bit extreme...I'm going to rec the Midlands this time - since they're cheaper and the Motorolla's failed...