Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 3909 times)

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
What do you think?
« on: November 05, 2005, 11:16:34 PM »
My brother has always been into photography, well at least more than I am, and I thought I would try to make a site for him.

I thought I would go with a normal simple css design, but then I thought I would try something different. :cool2:

I was able to get my hands on a high res image of the digital camera we own (canon a85), so I thought I would design the whole site around it.

I havent done too much to the site, currently a real rough layout.  I wanted an opinion on what you think about the site before I spend more time on it.

The menus, and style of them are based on how they look on the camera, I will obviously add images instead of coloured boxes..

Currently when you click the round button under MENU, it toggles between the menu and the slideshow.  I will probably make another button to take you to the slide show, but it toggles for now.

When you get to the slide show, use the left and right arrows on the camera to move between the images.  These are thumbnail images, I plan on using javascript to allow the user to click on an image to get a larger version.

Under index.html (click winter - the green tab) and it takes you to another slide show with 2 images. (toggle to it)

You can also move between different menus click on the coloured boxes above them.

Under 800*600 the hotspots for the imagemap currently change, so I will have remove the centering of the camera, and move it to the left so no matter which resolution the person is using the hotspots are correct.

I know the site is quite different than anything I have seen, but I thought it was a neat idea.

I was just looking for basic suggestions, and wondering if I should continue with this design?

http://www.freewebs.com/prongs44/test/index.html

Thanks!

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 12:45:26 AM »
That's pretty neat :thumbsup:  I'm not sure it's working correctly though. For one, I can't toggle back to the menu after going to the slideshow (it's just a black screen). Also, I only can find one slideshow (flower/waterfall); it sounded like there are supposed to be two...?

Aside from that, it's hard to tell what each button does, so you need some way to explain it. And it would be neat if the buttons were animated (eg, they depress when you click them) but I'm not sure how feasible that is

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
What do you think?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 11:46:26 AM »
I like the idea, but I couldn't get any of the stuff you mentioned to work (I imagine you're still working on it).  Short of that, that could definately turn into an awesome site.  :)  Keep working with it.

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
What do you think?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 12:15:14 PM »
JaWiB were you using IE when you couldnt you got a black screen when you wanted to toggle, I noticed that when I was testing it, I gotta figure out exactly why it is only doing it in IE.

Thanks for the comments, Ill work on it today.  As I mentioned the hotlinks probably arent working for any resolution besides 1024 * 768, so I will try and fix that today.

As for the depressed buttons, I was originally trying to do that, but it is never pixel perfect in every browser, but Ill try it out again, I hope it is feasible.

JaWiB

• definitelys definately no MacGyver
  • Jackass V
What do you think?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 02:54:19 PM »
>>JaWiB were you using IE when you couldnt you got a black screen when you wanted to toggle

Yup, sorry forgot to mention that.

Major_Small

• Jackass IV
    • http://www.johnshaoonline.com
What do you think?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 06:49:26 PM »
it's a cool idea, but I don't like the design of the A85... maybe go with one in the elph line... or even better go with a rebel series camera... you'll appreciate it more when (if) he decides to upgrade his equipment...
Team Cprog Folding@Home: Team #43476
Download it Here
Detailed Stats Here
More Detailed Stats
51 Members so far, are YOU a member?
Current team score: 827850 (ranked 357 of 41389)

The CBoard team is doing better than [COLOR='#0000FF']99.13%[/COLOR] of the other teams
Top 5 Members: Xterria(331048), Bennet(64957), pianorain(56621), Codeplug(35842), JaWiB(34917)

Last Updated on: Mon, 28 Nov, 2005 @ 3:21 PM EST

Canuck

• Eh?!!
  • Founders
  • Andy Moog Fan
    • My Website
What do you think?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 08:23:57 PM »
@Major Small
Even though the a85 isnt that great of a design, its the camera he uses, so thats the whole idea behind why I used it for the site.

@JaWib
I know why the black screen appears, its because IE does not like when a div has a style = block, not sure if there is a fix for it, but Ill look into it. (and I use that in my Javascript to hide/show the menus and slideshow)

As for the site, I updated it, so the hotspots should be working for any screen resolution... I hope

Major_Small

• Jackass IV
    • http://www.johnshaoonline.com
What do you think?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 11:22:59 PM »
the map holds up under 1280x1024 (firefox) :)
Team Cprog Folding@Home: Team #43476
Download it Here
Detailed Stats Here
More Detailed Stats
51 Members so far, are YOU a member?
Current team score: 827850 (ranked 357 of 41389)

The CBoard team is doing better than [COLOR='#0000FF']99.13%[/COLOR] of the other teams
Top 5 Members: Xterria(331048), Bennet(64957), pianorain(56621), Codeplug(35842), JaWiB(34917)

Last Updated on: Mon, 28 Nov, 2005 @ 3:21 PM EST