Author Topic: Mexican Subways  (Read 3466 times)

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
Mexican Subways
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:06:02 PM »
When I say "Mexican Subway" I am referring to the type of restaurant, not some sort of Tijuana underground.

Restaurants of this type that I have encountered are Qdoba, Chipotle, Baja Fresh, Panchero's, and Moe's.

Qdoba is the classic to me, just because it's the first one I went to.  Great soup, great huge burritos, tacos, and everything.  Really thin tortillas that are either terrific or awful, depending on who you are.  Also, their new Mexican Gumbo item is the shit.  It's basically the guts of a burrito under soup.

Chipotle was ok the one time I ate there, but that was while I was very hungover and the morning after I had made out with a very fat girl, so my memories aren't that positive.  They did have several flavors of Tabasco, which was cool.  There are almost no Chipotles in my area, which is weird considering they seem to be the dominant force everywhere else.

Baja Fresh is another regular place for me.  I'm not a big fan of their menu items, but you can pretty much put together whatever type of burrito you want, so that's cool.  Their chips are consistently stale and bad, though.  Awesome nachos, though - I guess you can't tell the chips are stale when they're under a pound of cheese and meat and beans.  I've never had their soup because it's scary looking

Panchero's is pretty decent.  Their meat is pretty flavorless, which is weird because you can watch them grill the chicken and it's obviously marinated in something.  I'm not a big fan of their tortillas, which are a bit more substantial than qdoba's, but it's pretty decent overall.

I tried Moe's for the first time last night - I don't think I'll be eating there again.  The tacos were so messy I had to eat them with a fork, and the chicken was just shredded shit that tasted like it had been soaking in warm water for a few hours.  It may have been because I went there late, but it was crap.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: Mexican Subways
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:52:32 PM »
Chipotle wins for me just because I like to say "Chipotable" (chip-oh-TAHB-lay, not chip-oh-table) whenever it comes up in the conversation.

I also say "Hercules, Hercules" every time we drive by the city of Hercules.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:59:03 PM »
Been to Chipotle twice.  Both times the food was so bad we threw out most of it.  Won't be returning.

Dunno about the rest.  Moe's has a reputation for fresh food.  The problem is that it is shitty fresh food.  I read up on it via Google searches.  We were going to go there until we read the reviews.  No thanks.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 02:07:18 PM »
Chipolte and Qdoba are pretty much the same place.  Both good food IMO.  Haven't had any of the others.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 12:20:55 AM »
i dont have any of those near me. the best nachos i can get are at applebees =[
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

stealth

• Jackass V
  • Now comes in 32 flavors
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 08:26:53 PM »
That's an awesome name for a band though (Mexican Subways).