Author Topic: PC Build Review  (Read 5847 times)

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
PC Build Review
« on: September 07, 2018, 12:05:24 AM »
So my NUC is doing OK for my general purpose needs and streaming thus far but after doing more reading on things it seems more cores might be better. I'm still looking for mostly a streaming rig and perhaps some light steam gaming so I'm forgoing the discrete graphics and trying to build a better "NUC" on a reasonable budget. I'm hoping this rig will be good enough to bring out (why it's small) and yet be able to manage my streaming needs for some YouTube programming tutorials I'm planning on starting to do on stuff I know about that might be useful for others.

Here's the parts list: +$80 for the case that's unpriced.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q7L4P3

I think it's pretty good. I could dip down to the 860 SSD that I have in my NUC but a friend suggested the 960 for better performance. I've seen bitwit on YouTube basically build this rig without the aftermarket fan, which seems pretty good, and he's been able to do decent gaming on it. My biggest concern is the heat and PSU but that seems like it'll be OK. Otherwise, I have some bigger cases with full sized PSUs that I've been looking at but that makes the rig less attractive to drag out and about.

Thoughts? Swaps (like RAM, I'm really unsure of what to get)?

The MB is a bit much perhaps too, but I like the features and layout for possibly upgrading to a better Ryzen later and discrete graphics if I get into gaming, which would require a different case.
This signature intentionally left blank.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: PC Build Review
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 12:41:36 AM »
My other thing I've been kicking around is the Hades Canyon NUC but it's about another $300 and while it's a bit smaller I'm thinking PC build might be the right way to go. It's been a few years so it's about time I figure.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 05:32:52 AM »
I do not like that mini form factor.  Just a pain to work in, keep cool, manage wires, and clean over time.  If ya have to go small I prefer the mini or mid-ATX.  Plenty of people do all three, so no worries, just know what you are getting into and that it will have to be kept in cool areas and cleaned carefully.  Use really nice fans (this means Noctua).  Do not use air coolers if possible in that even the best aren't great and a nice Corsair or NZXT cooler is fairly priced these days.  This series and its like are a good mix of carryable and damned nice cases.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146217&ignorebbr=1

The build seems solid enough.  Intel setups seem to have the edge in bang for buck when gaming is the priority, but again your call.  Not a big deal.

150W power supply.  Double it minimum.  Those low power supplies are usually crap.  EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic in that order would be my suggestions.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438101  This is a solid supply with long legs that will help reduce cable clutter in that itty bitty case for better air flow.

Always leave room and capability to toss in a discrete GPU.  You might not need it now...

Memory and SSD are fine even if you want to drop to the other series of SSD.

Thoughts?

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 07:48:16 AM »
Yeah, power supply was the biggest red flag for me too.  I used to be all AMD but I'm on the Intel ship now and don't intend to get off unless there's a shift.

I also agree about the form factor.  The smaller ones are nice but a pain in the ass if you have to do anything with them.  Hell, I have trouble with cables in my big case (Knuck knows and he's like a god when it comes to cable management).

I don't have experience with the different SSDs, but I suspect you wouldn't see a noticeable difference but that's just me.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
Form factor is one the major components here so it needs to be as small as I can get it, which I know will be tricky. And since this is a streaming priority rig, the Ryzen's seem to womp the Intel's at similar price point for that task.

Realistically this will never really be used as a gaming pc and I'd go with a different case/cpu/psu/graphics if I ever did so this is really just trying to be a more powerful NUC. Even this case is bigger than I'd like but I'm just not sold on the premium price for the Hades NUC. And it apparently has issues with Linux at the moment.

I think I've seen some after market PSUs but it sounds like this might be a custom one for this case so I'll have to look into that a bit more. If it doesn't work I've got my eyes on a trying to acquire a Dan Case instead. They seem really slick.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 06:35:00 PM »
How about a laptop?  Small, and as powerful or not as necessary.  You can save a bundle getting a black Friday sale, factory refurb, or lightly used model.  Adding a different SSD or more memory is typically not so bad.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 08:41:29 PM »
Thought about that too. There are a couple ASUS ones that would probably fit the bill but I'm not really a huge laptop kind of person. But it might actually make sense. But what fun is that?

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
Yeah...I dunno.  Laptops are really nice as a small form factor, are wonderful to wander with, etc.  I enjoy the fun of speccing and building a PC too.  That said I have both and for sorta similar reasons to you.  Thus the suggestion.  We also have a tablet, not a valid solution for you, that has essentially replaced our Asus ZenBook.

Be interesting to see where you end up.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »
Ya, I have my Pixelbook and my older Pixel LS too that I threw GalliumOS but of those are both dual cores and I don't know that I want yet another laptop even if I do just treat it like a tower. (I have a couple tablets now too, I'm a total gadget dork) Realistically I could probably just upgrade to the NUC8i7 but it's kind of fun to at least pondering some options, and the NUC7 fans are kind of obnoxious under load. But they're just so tiny and portable.

The Chopin build just kind of looked cool. Part of me has thought about building a wooden PC case but I'm not quite sold on that idea.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »
I have been looking at the ASRock Mini's though too combo'd with an Intel i7 and Noctua which would probably be a better solution than the NUC without much more space and smaller than the Chopin build, but I need to watch some more reviews and builds.

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2018, 06:01:02 AM »
Wooden would be neat.  Heavy maybe.  You might have grounding and heating issues?

Maybe one out of bronze and brass.  Steampunk like!