Author Topic: "Politicians"  (Read 2039 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
"Politicians"
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »
I like this guys rant...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M1lJd2eLG0M

"Politics" is everything that's wrong with politics.

Wouldn't the world be a beautiful place if there was no job called "Politician." I've always thought it was crazy that people get control over things they know absolutely nothing about, just because they are good and giving speeches. Hey, you can talk for 20 minutes without actually saying anything -> Minister of the Environment. It doesn't matter if you don't actually know anything about the environment! People should have to meet minimum educational qualifications for each government posting, and write exams to be eligible.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
Re: "Politicians"
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
Wouldn't the world be a beautiful place if there was no job called "Politician."

Well, yeah. But there are a lot of unrealistic things that would make the world a beautiful place. There's just not a lot of good realistic alternatives to politicians.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:56:55 PM »
the world be a beautiful place if there were term limits :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »
the world be a beautiful place if there were term limits :)
Not really.  The few good ones would be forced out and the bad ones would be replaced by someone equally as sucky.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »
Wouldn't the world be a beautiful place if there was no job called "Politician."

Well, yeah. But there are a lot of unrealistic things that would make the world a beautiful place. There's just not a lot of good realistic alternatives to politicians.

I don't know if that's entirely true. There are people who are truly qualified to make decisions and manage a country, but they don't have the personality for politics. Look what happened in Italy, the country is now being run by bankers and economists now that the politicians have failed. I guess we'll see how that turns out, but it can't be any worse than what would be done by politicians.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »
I'm not sure there are a lot of good systems where the people aren't voting in their representation, and I'm not sure it's possible to have representatives voted in without them being "politicians". Sure, you might get better results from people that aren't voted in that have expertise in other fields, but that's not much of a long term solution.

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »
Have pre-qualifying exams and education requirements for candidates to run (or be appointed to) important government positions. Have standardized "campaigns" put together by third parties that allow the public to see who the person is without the political bs, then the public can vote for who they think is the best candidate.

I dunno, I'm just thinking out loud here... but be prepared, when I'm king of the world it just might work this way.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:54:47 PM »
I know we can make things better and it's certainly worth it to try, but the underlying issue will always be there, at least unless/until humans suddenly (or not-so suddenly) become uber-rational creatures.

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 11:50:33 PM »
I know we can make things better and it's certainly worth it to try, but the underlying issue will always be there, at least unless/until humans suddenly (or not-so suddenly) become uber-rational creatures.

Sadly, it will never happen. It seems each generation in our country gets more and more detached from the important things. Everyone I know my age seems to care more about the idea of change then working towards it.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?