Author Topic: "borowing" internet  (Read 3069 times)

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
    • http://jeff.bagu.org
"borowing" internet
« on: June 23, 2005, 08:49:26 PM »
ok, here's my situation. I had a land line phone and DSL internet with a provider. I recently switched to having a cell phone with my old number, so I cancelled my land line. The problem is that this provider requires you to have a landline in order to have internet.. so, my internet got cancelled along with the phone :(   Im only going to be living in this city for another 2 months so its not really worth getting cable internet set up.

soooo, i live in a condo and i detect anywhere from 2 - 5 un-encrypted wireless connections at any given time.. so, im kind of borowing (ok, leeching) someones internet. I only browse the web and check email, no big downloads or anything, but it does feel just a little bit wrong. What would you guys do in my situation?

l33t-5h1t

• The artist formerly known as Waldo
  • Jackass III
"borowing" internet
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 11:44:36 PM »
I'd do it. Not to be a dick, but anyone with unencrypted wifi in an apartment complex no doubt is stupid.

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm
"borowing" internet
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 01:57:21 AM »
i've never been in a situation like that... dorms don't really count

i'd say find the guy with the wireless and be friends with him/her. ask permission and offer to split the bill or something, and explain why you want to do it in this unusual way

the biggest issue i see is if you download something massive and it hogs the guy's internet connection. eventually the guy would figure things out (or call tech support and have them figure it out for him) and get pissed. more likely he would just encrypt his connection and not bother with going to every door in a 100 foot radius to see who has a wireless laptop. (although, in a condo this would be fairly easy to do.)

it's mostly a moral decision. i think you could get away with it if you aren't obnoxious with your internet usage. it doesn't matter that a person is stupid about his internet... it's still his connection. so just make a decision you feel comfortable with and go with that

l33t-5h1t

• The artist formerly known as Waldo
  • Jackass III
"borowing" internet
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 02:20:59 AM »
>>it doesn't matter that a person is stupid about his internet...

sure it does ;)

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
"borowing" internet
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 06:49:03 AM »
I'd go with the do it and hope that he doesn't notice or the go find one of them and ask if its ok that you use it, I'd probably agree and encript my connection giving you the details.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
"borowing" internet
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 08:46:51 AM »
I agree with the others... use it, don't abuse it, and make friends with the host if you can.

pianorain

• Anti-Poster
  • Jackass III
"borowing" internet
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 09:30:25 AM »
Yup...another vote in agreement.  I had a similar situation a couple of years ago.  I found the guy with the wireless network and asked if I could use it too.  He didn't mind; he didn't even want me to pay him.  Pretty damn nice guy.
[post=3832]axon[/post]: I hate it when people copy my originality :p

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
"borowing" internet
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 11:00:32 AM »
Sounds reasonable. I don't know how easy it would be to find the host, Im not really the type to go knocking on doors in a 2 floor radius... Also, the network is named "default" so they're probably the type that has problems turning on their computer. I really only have 2 issues now,

1. If i need internet in an emergency and can't connect (ie. damn, have to submit my assignment before midnight). This isnt too much of a problem because i can just walk to work and use the internet there. I have 24h access to the building.

2. There's the possibility that it's a honney comb. Unlikely but not impossible... never the less, i won't do any internet banking or online purchases over that connection.

Betazep

• Sunk
  • Founders
"borowing" internet
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 11:05:46 AM »
My wife, my son, and I all share the same wireless connection with cable internet access.  I have two hardwired servers that run/support FAH, Web, and other activities.  Even with downloading files, checking email, etc... everything runs smoothly.  It is difficult to tell of any bandwidth loss at all.  This is partially due to the frequency at which these things occur  (not all at the same time, some of the time).

I do not think that it affects much if you use any open wireless.  However, you are on their internal network.  So don't abuse that aspect.  (e.g. hack their computers, printers, etc)

Personally, I get a little bit irritated with people that have open wireless and default router passwords.  I think that a person who owns a technology should know even a cursory amount of knowlege about it, if they are going to use it.  

I played tag with somebody nearby me for two weeks by turning off his wireless in his router configs.  I guess he could figure out how to turn it back on, but he never would change his default password.  So I would turn it off again.  Back and forth we went at this.  FINALLY, he changed his default password.  Yeay!  I was kind of being a dick, but also... I just wanted the guy to lock his stuff down a bit for his own sake.

My advice... use it, but don't abuse it.
"The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents." -Nathaniel Borenstein

aran

• the capital of djibouti is djibouti
  • Jackass III
"borowing" internet
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 09:20:24 PM »
Print something out on their printer that says "come to the lobby. Face towards the front desk and scratch your head at 8:30PM". Then go to the lobby at that time and wait for the guy to show up. When you see him, wisk him away to some alley and tell him he can either give your internet or get his arm broken. :D ;)
this apparatus must be unearthed.

kermi3

• ?
  • Ass Wipe
"borowing" internet
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 03:42:11 PM »
If you have a laptop...use Net Stumbler as a Geiger counter to track the appartment down...
govtcheez03:  i kind of look for it - i seek out stupidity and annoy it until it either gets better, gets banned, or goes away on its own

ygfperson

• Founders
    • Last.fm

Perspective

• badfish
  • Jackass In Charge
"borowing" internet
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 12:25:46 PM »
Quote from: ygfperson
hehe.. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050707/ap_on_hi_te/techbits_wi_fi_theft

damn, good thing Canada is way behind with all the tech laws  :angel:

Major_Small

• Jackass IV
    • http://www.johnshaoonline.com
"borowing" internet
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 05:02:25 PM »
Quote from: ygfperson
hehe.. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050707/ap_on_hi_te/techbits_wi_fi_theft
I was just about to post that  :D
Team Cprog Folding@Home: Team #43476
Download it Here
Detailed Stats Here
More Detailed Stats
51 Members so far, are YOU a member?
Current team score: 827850 (ranked 357 of 41389)

The CBoard team is doing better than [COLOR='#0000FF']99.13%[/COLOR] of the other teams
Top 5 Members: Xterria(331048), Bennet(64957), pianorain(56621), Codeplug(35842), JaWiB(34917)

Last Updated on: Mon, 28 Nov, 2005 @ 3:21 PM EST

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
"borowing" internet
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 08:45:14 PM »
me too, earlier this morning, but ygf had already posted :mad:
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez