What should I do with this e-mail?

Reply to "Memama" and explain she used the wrong address
1 (25%)
Delete the e-mail and don't think twice about it
1 (25%)
Ignore it unless I keep getting mail, then reply
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: "How did Snoopy like his plane ride?!"  (Read 1250 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
"How did Snoopy like his plane ride?!"
« on: June 15, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
So I just got this e-mail in my gmail inbox, in fairly giant font:

Dear Micah,
Well, your great adventure has begun!  You will
have sooooo much to tell us when we see you   
or hear you next! 
How did Snoopy like his plane ride?!  Give your
Mommy and Daddy hugs for us, OK? 
MUCH Love, Memama, for both Granddaddy and
me

The clear presumption is that some little old lady meant to e-mail her grandchild and mis-typed the address.  Ordinarily, I would just ignore it.  But i feel kind of bad cause it could be a little old lady -- or a little kid waiting to hear from Grandma.

So do I ignore it, or reply?

It also crossed my mind that it could be a spam message, fishing for people who reply out of the goodness of their hearts, thus collecting valid e-mail addresses.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: "How did Snoopy like his plane ride?!"
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:09:46 PM »
Delete delete delete.

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »
Don't harass Memama!  She just wants to check on snoopy :(

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
I suppose I could write her back and tell her I'm in trouble and need her to wire me money  :devil:
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

jkim

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »
Last time I sent an email to the wrong person, she emailed me back.  I really appreciated it, because I was trying to remind someone about something, and they only reason she remembered was because I sent that email to the right address eventually.

Really, it seems like you've already given a lot of thought about this, since you bothered to type all of this out :P

micah

• Ass Wipe
    • micahj.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »
Story 1)
so a week ago, I got an e-mail from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society thanking me for my $5 donation.  The receipt showed that my phone number was 555 something (obviously fake)  so I sent them an e-mail saying that I didn't give them $5 and that it was probably a stolen credit card being used on their site to test its validity before being used for more nefarious purposes.  (donating small amounts to a non-profit online is akin to buying gas with a $1 pre-auth with a stolen card in the real world)

I got an e-mail today in response. They looked into it and it turns out that after contacting the credit card company they were able to get hold of the legitimate donor, named Micah, who had just given a dummy phone number and what he thought was a made up e-mail address on the form to avoid being contacted by the organization for more followup donations.

Story 2)
on monday I contacted our apartment leasing office and asked for a copy of our lease that they never gave us this past spring when we agreed to stay on another year.  So today, i get an e-mail from a corporate leasing company with a link to view and sign my lease online.  So I signed on with the credentials provided and began reviewing -- I thought it a little odd that some of the rules didn't jive with my old lease.  Then I re-looked at the leasing company, it wasn't my leasing company.  It said Micah Murray all over the contract though.  I looked back up at the top and sure enough, it had a yahoo.com e-mail address listed on the contract with the same username as my gmail account (which is where they sent this document too.)  Some guy named Micah Murray is leasing an apartment in Arizona and they sent it to me by mistake, coincidentally, 2 days after I was inquiring about my own lease.

Kinda sad to realize, in a global community, I do not have a unique name.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
More disturbing is that you could login with the information.
This signature intentionally left blank.