Author Topic: schooling  (Read 1538 times)

Steve

• This 49%er supports Romney
  • Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
schooling
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:56:59 PM »
thinking bout taking some online computer courses instead of inclass, can any of u guys suggest a college/company? i was looking at comptia.org but there is no training.....
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

drakkenkorin

• http://www.google.com
schooling
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:03:22 AM »
do any of your local colleges/universities offer online courses?

myself, i would look for a program that is accredited.  it would really suck if you decided to transfer those online credits to a traditional college/university and they tell you that those courses aren't accredited.  that would blow dirty hairy ass.
"I know that when I get home from work, I like to read the paper, sip a nice glass of Cabernet, and call people faggots on the internet.  Because I'm an adult." - Govtcheez

Govtcheez

• Town Idiot
  • Jackass In Charge
schooling
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »
ill school you on the basketball court, no charge

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
schooling
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 10:53:03 AM »
Quote from: drakkenkorin
do any of your local colleges/universities offer online courses?

myself, i would look for a program that is accredited.  it would really suck if you decided to transfer those online credits to a traditional college/university and they tell you that those courses aren't accredited.  that would blow dirty hairy ass.

many community schools offer online courses...or at least mostly online courses where you only have to show up to the exams.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
schooling
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 10:59:17 AM »
I'll have to check tonight after work, thnx for the ideas. Its been itching at me for a while and now im in a position to afford it but it has to be online because of my schedule.
hey ethic if you and i were both courting lily allen..... oh wait, which one of us has a relationship that lasted more than the bus ride home?

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
schooling
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 11:11:45 AM »
Quote from: scubasteve
I'll have to check tonight after work, thnx for the ideas. Its been itching at me for a while and now im in a position to afford it but it has to be online because of my schedule.

are you sure about that? all the community school's by my house offer really flexible schedules - whether it be once a week, or two times a week at the night time.  Check a few schools - or maybe even visit them to check your options. I doubt you'll be able to sign up still as most schools started the Spring semester this week, or will start next week.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

PJYelton

• Power of Voodoo
  • Jackass In Charge
    • TheRecursiveFractal
schooling
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 03:58:34 PM »
Quote from: ethic
How do online classes work? Do they just give you a
bunch of webpages to read? If so, that sounds dumb.
They tend to be eRooms where the instructor can place lectures and reading materials on.  They typically also have forums where people can talk and post questions and act as the class's discussion.  Most also have tests and homework online otherwise its usually done through emails.

Personally I love taking online courses for classes that I understand quickly like programming.  I can read everything whenever I want and I typically spend maybe an hour a week total on a class, much better than the 4-6 hours plus homework time of a traditional class.  Sucks though for more difficult classes since its harder to talk to people and get answers to questions.

[stealth]

• the original
  • Jackass V
schooling
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 10:19:41 PM »
It really depends on what stream you want to work in.  If you're interested in DB, go Oracle.  If it's networking, go Novell or MS Active Directory.  If it's desktop, go MS certs and A+.  I would also look at doing some sort of ITIL courses, basically because that's hot stuff right now.

salvelinus

• Founders
schooling
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 09:12:36 AM »
Michigan has some kind of online co-operative program between most of the state's public schools for a lot of courses. Not sure about all the Universities, but most of the 2 year schools are on (or were a couple years ago). Maybe New Jersey has something similar.
Go with the bad joke theory - RoD

Steve

• Just a Jackass
  • Mr. Mom
schooling
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 11:33:46 AM »
The colleges right around me cant arrange to my schedule, because its so long and it changes all the time. Being a manager is overrated