Author Topic: new health care bill  (Read 13343 times)

VBprogrammer

• Back on GMT thank god
  • Jackass IV
Re: new health care bill
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
5. VB, I believe everyone should have a right to good health care and not be in debt for the rest of their life when they receive it. But it looks like the majority has to take the brunt of the cost. Make it easier for all of us.

6. And considering what you quoted from micah's post - I couldn't name one thing that the government does that works good. Government should not run businesses. They are not good at it. Just look at our post office. I'm all for single payer - but not with the way things are ran right now. It would be a complete disaster.

America pays the most in the world for health care. Pretty hard to believe that your not being screwed. The free market only works when there is genuine competition, health care is not something anyone would choose to be without willingly, no one is providing a cheep alternative that doesn't have very large strings attached (insurance that is barely worth the paper its written on), therefore prices keep getting higher. From what I heard Obama wanted to do much more than what the watered down bill they eventually got signed into law actually does, and it was watered down on the basis of shit principle arguments and industrial lobbyists.

I guess part of the reason we don't see eye to eye is that I have never seen health care as a business, I view it, more or less, as a human right.

And I just don't get American's, the idiot who starts two foreign wars, drives the economy into the ground and sends American deficit through the roof gets two terms. The person who sticks to his election pledge to reform health care only gets one...

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2010, 11:55:59 PM »
Hey... I think the post office works pretty damn well. It's cheaper than anywhere else (about the same as Great Britain apparently), and they get your mail across the country in a couple of days.

And I think it's about 2:1 that Obama gets re-elected.

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
the post office isn't run by the government and does not funded by tax dollars.  They are instead, a regulated agency, and are inefficiently hemorrhaging money.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »
They are inefficiently hemorrhaging money.
Well sure, they are now, in this recession and the age of the internet.

I guess my greater point is that I never saw the evidence, in my own life or otherwise, of government run businesses being disasters.