Author Topic: L’appel du vide – The call of the void  (Read 2335 times)

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
L’appel du vide – The call of the void
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:55:25 AM »
Its the thought, but not action, of standing on a ledge and thinking, "what if I jumped"

I used to think I was a crazy; I've had this recurring thought my whole life but apparently its a real thing that most everyone experiences.  I remember being a kid, living in Rhode Island, walking on the shore line cliffs of Jamestown thinking, "I'm right here on the edge of a rock that drops into the ocean. There's nothing stopping me from taking one more step into the unknown"  Or waiting for a train, behind that yellow line and thinking, what if I just took one more step at the last second?  Sometimes I'm driving and think, I could just swerve off this bridge right now.

Obviously I don't. Or at least, I haven't.

Its a scary thought, but doing some research, it seems its healthy physiological reaction to danger. It's an intrusive thought your brain has as it accesses dangers. 

But there's this song by Astrid S, an artist who I coincidentally have an absolute crush on, called "Jump" (listen to it NOW!) and the lyrics got me thinking about this topic and researching it.
If I fell with no one around
Would it even make a sound?
'Cause I can't even make one now
And I get these thoughts in my head
But I wouldn't do it anyway
Or at least that's what I say

'Til I'm right on the edge
I take a look at the bottom
And I know it will hurt hitting ground
But I don't think that I'd mind the falling

Would anyone know?
Is there anyone watching?
I'm getting crazy ideas in my head
And I don't think I'm able to stop them

A lot of people think the song is about suicide, which I assumed as well (because it clearly is) but in interviews she's says its about making a daring decision and just "going for it"...  but that brings up an interesting twist on the concept of L'appel du vide. There seems to be a fine line between normal psychological thoughts of "what if" and actual suicidal ideation. I mean for every group of people who think "I could jump of this bridge right now" there is a subset of those who actually do.

So where is the line between healthy evolutionary fear, passive ideation and active thoughts of self harm.  I find it a fascinating topic.

Thoughts?

edit: also i've had a few drinks tonight so remind me later to take out that part about my crush on astrid s.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."

KnuckleBuckett

• Jackass In Charge
  • [url=http://google.com]I search a lot[/url]
Re: L’appel du vide – The call of the void
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »
-----------------You doing this outside?  Naked?

micah

• A real person, on the Internet.
  • Ass Wipe
  • Truth cannot contradict truth.
    • micahj.com
Re: L’appel du vide – The call of the void
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 11:57:55 PM »
See, this is why I freaking LOVE music.

3 Months ago, this song meant something completely different to me. I was in a very different place.  I heard the same song again today and thought, "the 'jump' is a not literal after-all. It is about making a decision that you know ultimately may end very badly but wanting to do it anyway."   At first she ponders the idea, its a crazy idea, "and I wouldn't do it anyway.... or at least that's what I'd say" until she is actually there, on the edge, really considering it. She recognizes that, "yeah, I know it will hurt hitting ground" but maybe, just maybe, the release and freedom, the momentary and so-temporary joy of making that jump might just be worth it. "I don't think that I'd mind the falling."

Love it.  I mean, I know that's a very obvious and elementary interpretation. I'm not pretending to be some poetry scholar.  Just saying, I love how the same words can mean something so different to two different people at the same time, or to one person at two different times.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:27:19 AM by micah »
"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.  I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers."