Entertainment & Artistry > Sports/Outdoors & Manpoon

gardening 2021

<< < (2/2)

ober:
I get that Jake - but still... not my idea of a relaxing time.  Maybe I'm jaded from spending ENDLESS hours in the garden as a kid.

@micah - trust me, it's nothing like that.  And I say 'watching' but what I really meant was trying to figure out if she was actually using an electric rototiller.  I'd never seen one before.

Mike:

--- Quote from: Jake on May 17, 2021, 09:51:41 AM ---Anyone gardening this year? Mike, are you doing tomatoes again?

--- End quote ---

Yes.  I had a busy spring so I'm doing everything out of the tower garden so we'll see how well it goes.  I'm also trying strawberries again and managed to get a few out but overall I think they might not be worth the trouble.

--- Quote from: ober on May 17, 2021, 02:10:36 PM ---I was literally watching our neighbor work in her garden over the weekend and thought to myself... there are so many other things I'd rather do with my time.  I personally don't get the joy or value out of growing your own stuff.

--- End quote ---

For me it comes down to just some basic things:

1. Small connection with nature
2. I enjoy the pretty flowers
3. The tomatoes I grow are so much better than store ones (seriously a tomato picked when it is completely rip is so far beyond store bought)
4. I can grow herbs that are harder to find
5. The herbs smell really good

With the herbs there is also a joy in going "I want some fresh rosemary" and just going outside and snipping a few sprigs off.

That said, weeding sucks a lot!  So, I try to set up the veggies to not need it.

Jake:
Hey Mike, I think you're trying to share a picture but it is not displaying.

and I agree with all your points. This year is the first year I am growing herbs - they do smell awesome. And the ability to cut your own fresh rosemary, like you mentioned, or sage to make your food more aromatic is great - plus it saves some money because that stuff is not cheap!

Jake:
BTW, everything has been growing really well with the recent beautiful weather - but a cold front arrived 2 days ago and it got down to low 40s at night so there will be a slow down for sure.

Mike:

--- Quote from: Jake on May 28, 2021, 12:19:15 PM ---Hey Mike, I think you're trying to share a picture but it is not displaying.

--- End quote ---

Weird.  Fixed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version