Author Topic: Biden - report card  (Read 11102 times)

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
Biden - report card
« on: August 16, 2021, 11:03:27 PM »
So what do you guys think of Biden and his administration so far? Is it everything you dreamed of? From the border crisis, covid19, inflation, and now Afghanistan- what grade would you give?
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
Re: Biden - report card
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 08:44:22 AM »
He hasn't supported an insurrection yet, so that's a win.  If you're really trying to compare him to Trump, I'm not going to bite. 

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 09:28:01 AM »
He hasn't supported an insurrection yet, so that's a win.  If you're really trying to compare him to Trump, I'm not going to bite. 

but you just did :)

but that is not why I am asking. I am asking for an honest opinion of the current administration. Are you happy with what has been accomplished? are you not happy with what is going on? I'll wait with my opinions until I hear some of yours, as I am genuinely curious.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 10:00:56 AM »
What grade did you give Trump Jake? Add three grades so far for Biden. This administration has at least acknowledged issues rather than purely ignoring them. While things haven't gone swimmingly, we're not even done with year one yet, so you could say some of this is residual from the previous administration. Maybe we hold off ranking him as a terrible president until the end of his term.

I mean, technically isn't Trump still secretly president? ;)
This signature intentionally left blank.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 12:29:04 PM »
What grade did you give Trump Jake? Add three grades so far for Biden. This administration has at least acknowledged issues rather than purely ignoring them. While things haven't gone swimmingly, we're not even done with year one yet, so you could say some of this is residual from the previous administration. Maybe we hold off ranking him as a terrible president until the end of his term.

I mean, technically isn't Trump still secretly president? ;)

why is it so hard to answer my question? and why the need to get defensive? I am just looking for an honest opinion from you guys that voted for Biden. That is all.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 01:17:06 PM »
I think he's made a solid effort on COVID: A on that
I agree with removing us from Afghanistan. The situation there was fucked and we can't defend them forever.  The people that are complaining about it now are the same people that wanted us out.  That's a no-win situation.  Hard to give a grade on that one, but an A for committing to do it.
Economy: B?  Again, hard to grade since it so much of it is tied to the previous administration.
Social: B  I don't see him constantly in the news tearing people down or being a racist/bigot/sexist piece of shit.  He's not perfect, but at least he's professional.
Border Crisis: No idea.  Haven't kept up on it.

Anything else?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 03:22:46 PM »
why is it so hard to answer my question? and why the need to get defensive? I am just looking for an honest opinion from you guys that voted for Biden. That is all.

Did I get defensive? I thought I answered the question (well the grade bit).

The other things, I think he's largely done OK. I mean we're not out of the woods with anything, but that goes back to my initial comment of it's only been 6 ish months (7 if we're rounding up) so I haven't expected miracles. He's largely started doing the things he said he would and his policies need a bit of time to kick in, unless we're going to give all the credit to Joe for the stock market being up nearly 17% (5K)? I guess that could mean something against the inflation issues.

It seems he's still trying to do things nicely instead of forcing his way through everything, which I believe is the preferred method of democracy. Honestly, given the situation, I think the Dems should go pack the court, and railroad the Republicans to get things through, but they're generally not the party of that.

While I voted for Biden this go round, I've voted Republican every other time (with the exception of independent for the first Trump election). This current Republican party doesn't feel like the platform I grew up with, but maybe my perspective has changed too. If anything, I see the Biden term as a throw away term to try and get the country back on track and hopefully society can settle down a bit in the next 3 years.

Afghanistan: that sucks and while that's probably going to be a dark spot on his term, everyone wanted out of there, even Trump. Biden held off longer than planned and it still all fell apart. I do see that as a failing of the intelligence community though, unless (tin foil hat) there's a larger strategy at play.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 03:23:56 PM »
I think he's made a solid effort on COVID: A on that
I agree with removing us from Afghanistan. The situation there was fucked and we can't defend them forever.  The people that are complaining about it now are the same people that wanted us out.  That's a no-win situation.  Hard to give a grade on that one, but an A for committing to do it.
Economy: B?  Again, hard to grade since it so much of it is tied to the previous administration.
Social: B  I don't see him constantly in the news tearing people down or being a racist/bigot/sexist piece of shit.  He's not perfect, but at least he's professional.
Border Crisis: No idea.  Haven't kept up on it.

Anything else?

thanks Ben, I'll wait on a few others before I chime in.

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 03:32:37 PM »
Critiquing any President (even Trump) is tough since politics are a slow game. I mean half the stuff Trump dealt with or changed were policies made long before his term and things don't change quickly. Trump had a shitty card dealt with Covid. I have a feeling he might have had a second term if it didn't happen or even if he had handled it better. Biden now gets to deal with ending a "war" we started 20 years ago. But that's the card he's been dealt so it's ultimately his legacy. It hasn't started off well for him, so now we see what kind of leader we got and how he'll deal with the consequences. Ultimately I'm pleased we have a "presidential" person in place and while I might not agree with all of the decisions he's made or will be making, I'm fine with the normalcy that he's brought back to the office.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »
You really think he would have had a second term without Covid?  He was splitting the country, not bringing us together.  He was constantly in the news because of his comments that were so abrasive or straight up racist/bigoted.  I got to the point where it pained me to watch him speak. 

I mean trust me, I see all the flags in my area for 'Trump 2020' still and now I'm starting to see the same flag with '2024' on it.  But if people really couldn't see the insanity coming from Trump at the end of the term... I mean, are you blind?

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »
I honestly think he might have. I mean it would have been a narrow win, but I think it might have been possible. Things likely would have been going well enough that just enough people wouldn't want Biden in there, which is similar to how Trump won 2016 IMO. I didn't anticipate what Trump would do to the Republican party. I honestly thought if he got elected that the congress and senate would have stalled anything he tried and he'd essentially be a one term do nothing president. Oh how I was wrong.

I'm still a bit confused as to how this is all going to play out in the next decade or so. Scary thought is Trump might actually have a chance again in 2024. But I worry a bit more about someone like Cruz that's actually clever and seems willing to continue the Trump legacy.

charlie

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »
Relative to most Presidents: A
Relative to expectations: A-
Relative to preferences: C-

(Changed "relative to most presidents" after thinking about it. Had higher expectations than most Presidents so grade should be lower for expectations.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:08:55 PM by charlie »

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 02:00:16 PM »
Alright Jake, your turn.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2021, 10:08:37 AM »
Alright Jake, your turn.

I don't think it is fair to grade a person in his condition. I don't think he is fit to run this country. I don't think he is fit to make a mildly complicated order at starbucks. And I think this is why he has been hidden away from the cameras, and more importantly microphones, so much. The Afghanistan situation got so fucked, that he had to appear - his initial report to the nation was so horrible, that they made him show up again to try to clear things up.

I feel that by this time next year, Kamala will be the president. And even though that doesn't make me happy initially, it makes me hopeful for 2024 as she has no chance of getting elected into the office.

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2021, 11:20:49 AM »
I feel that by this time next year, Kamala will be the president. And even though that doesn't make me happy initially, it makes me hopeful for 2024 as she has no chance of getting elected into the office.

Because she's black, or because she's a woman? Or some other reason that I'm missing?