Author Topic: Lathe  (Read 6565 times)

Rob

• New improved. Now with added something...
  • Jackass In Charge
  • Approaching 60 from the wrong damn direction...
Lathe
« on: January 12, 2022, 08:14:35 AM »
Following on from Jake's thread, and so as not to hijack it, I bought myself a wood lathe for Christmas.

Anyone else do any turning? Can't wait to get my workshop completed so I can start playing!

hans

• Guitar Addict
  • Jackass In Charge
Re: Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 11:17:26 AM »
I've always wanted one but they're big, heavy, and usually expensive. Someday.
This signature intentionally left blank.

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 11:34:01 AM »
I always enjoyed that when I took woodworking in high school.  It's just so satisfying.  Sadly I don't have a need for one these days.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 02:28:02 PM »
Rob, that one looks pretty sweet - what type of gouges did you get? those quickly get expensive...

I've always wanted one but they're big, heavy,

they are quite a bit smaller now, but still pretty expensive. Of course, the length will depend on what size pieces you are looking to turn!

A few years ago I purchased a 20 year craftsman lathe - which was huge. It was belt driven by a detachable motor and it constantly needed adjustments. I didn't use it very much and it took up way too much space in my shop, so I sold it a few months ago. I don't know if I'll ever get one again. I did keep all the tools

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
  • Ex Asshole - a better and more caring person.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 02:42:43 PM »
Following on from Jake's thread, and so as not to hijack it, I bought myself a wood lathe for Christmas.

Anyone else do any turning? Can't wait to get my workshop completed so I can start playing!
I watch a bunch of turning videos on Youtube but I'm like 90% confident I do not have the patience for that.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 04:23:47 AM »
Rob, that one looks pretty sweet - what type of gouges did you get? those quickly get expensive...

Still trying to decide what to buy, and whether to go to carbide instead of traditional. I have a 3/4 roughing gouge that I want to master first, and then I guess I'll try to decide what to buy next.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 04:28:11 AM »
I always enjoyed that when I took woodworking in high school.  It's just so satisfying.  Sadly I don't have a need for one these days.

Ah, but do you want one? :)

I watch a bunch of turning videos on Youtube but I'm like 90% confident I do not have the patience for that.

Watching YT vids was what made me want to get started. They're very relaxing. Have you watched Nick Zammetti? Kind of annoying, but he definitely has a style of his own!

ober

• Ashton Shagger
  • Ass Wipe
  • mini-ober is taking over
    • Windy Hill Web Solutions
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 09:09:57 PM »
1) Wood working is not in my list of hobbies, nor do I have the space or desire to add it to the list.
2) Yes, I still want one.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 09:38:20 PM »

Still trying to decide what to buy, and whether to go to carbide instead of traditional. I have a 3/4 roughing gouge that I want to master first, and then I guess I'll try to decide what to buy next.

Carbide is easy, and works extremely well. The learning curve with traditional is not how to use it, but how to sharpen it properly...that is most of the battle.
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 07:53:54 AM »
1) Wood working is not in my list of hobbies, nor do I have the space or desire to add it to the list.
2) Yes, I still want one.

:dblthumb2:

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 07:48:38 PM »

Watching YT vids was what made me want to get started. They're very relaxing. Have you watched Nick Zammetti? Kind of annoying, but he definitely has a style of his own!
I checked him out but he doesn't seem like my style.  I don't have a particular set of channels yet.  Just those that come up via the youtube algorithm.  It is also hard finding the turners that aren't just dipping everything in resin.  Like, I'm not against it but I want to watch wood turning not resin turning.

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 07:10:26 AM »
Yeah, he does like his resin!

Sounds like Andy Phillip is more your style then.

Mike

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 08:57:31 AM »
Yeah, looking at his channel I have a bunch viewed already so probably right up my alley

Rob

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2022, 03:49:38 PM »
So, finally got round to making some stuff.

Jake

• Jackass In Charge
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 05:18:42 PM »
awesome! did you buy a blank or make it yourself? will you be finishing it?